What's new

Self-Serve Update

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
FYI,

Here are some bullets from the CEO presentation given at the last SECWA meeting.

- Home washing dropped from 44% in 2000 to 28% in 2014 (ICA)
- Consumers are increasingly demanding automatic carwash
- The customer base continues to shift from DIY to DIFM
- Portion of consumers that use self-serve dropped from 14% in 2000 to 9% in 2014
- 54 percent of consumers that wash now use a conveyor
- 93 percent of industry revenues are now generated by automatic car washes
- Since 2000, number of wand-bays has dropped from 160,000 to around 89,000
- In-bay automatic has created additional market for exterior express
- 80 percent of new tunnels built in 2014 were exterior express
- Most of industry will see single digit growth through 2019, no mention of self-serve

According to OEM’s, what’s left of self-serve is mostly rural and elsewhere it is mostly a target for express to consume retail space.

To avoid being a casualty, OEM’s suggest finding an expert to help develop a strategy that can create some wealth.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
While there is no doubt that self serve has been losing customers to automated washes, I would assume there would be a point at which the trend flat lines. I think there will always be a portion of vehicles (work trucks, etc) that will use a self serve. Any speculation as to when or if this has occurred?

My wash probably meets the "rural" category. I have seen revenue increase the last few years.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
While there is no doubt that self serve has been losing customers to automated washes, I would assume there would be a point at which the trend flat lines. I think there will always be a portion of vehicles (work trucks, etc) that will use a self serve. Any speculation as to when or if this has occurred?

My wash probably meets the "rural" category. I have seen revenue increase the last few years.

Agreed...I have seen an increase in my s/s bays for sure. Slight increase in competition in my market as well. I have a large number of vehicles that cannot fit in any automated wash bay on top of the regular passenger cars and trucks.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FYI,

Here are some bullets from the CEO presentation given at the last SECWA meeting.<<< And he knows what he is talking about because???

- Home washing dropped from 44% in 2000 to 28% in 2014 (ICA)<<< They get this info how? Like the time ICA said 1 in 3 people in the USA had seen there promo spots yet no one in the room I spoke to had ever seen one.

- In-bay automatic has created additional market for exterior express<<< Really? IBA created EE demand?
-
- Most of industry will see single digit growth through 2019, no mention of self-serve<<< Most of the industry is a term that excludes SS?

See above comments

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Interesting article,wonder who this CEO is and where he gets his information.

Etowah