What's new

Self serve pump stands, or what were these idiots thinking

Etowah

mac

Reaction score
The wash I have has 5 bays of self serve equipment, made by Ginsan.The stinking ba$tards that put this in, can you say Barry Boyd and Mark Zeledick, really screwed the then owner. They took out a perfectly good operating, and less than 2 years old, Stack pump stand by Magic Wand. That system took up a little less than half of the floor space than this thing does. Floor space is coveted in most equipment rooms. So why do some keep making this in single stand per bay configuration? Ginsan is not the only one who does this, I just happen to own it. If you look on ebay all you see is the same setup. So let's recap. The single bay setup costs more than a stack system, takes up twice the space, ande is no easier to work on. (Dan at Ginsan, please don't take this personally, I just hate the engineering, or lack thereof.)

Reactions: Zal

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
The wash I have has 5 bays of self serve equipment, made by Ginsan.The stinking ba$tards that put this in, can you say Barry Boyd and Mark Zeledick, really screwed the then owner. They took out a perfectly good operating, and less than 2 years old, Stack pump stand by Magic Wand. That system took up a little less than half of the floor space than this thing does. Floor space is coveted in most equipment rooms. So why do some keep making this in single stand per bay configuration? Ginsan is not the only one who does this, I just happen to own it. If you look on ebay all you see is the same setup. So let's recap. The single bay setup costs more than a stack system, takes up twice the space, ande is no easier to work on. (Dan at Ginsan, please don't take this personally, I just hate the engineering, or lack thereof.)
No offense taken. The thought process back then was that a "bench style" like you have would be easier to work on and they looked really impressive on a trade show floor. Heck, I can think of a few people who when they had their washes built had the door to the equipment room a "glass wall" so customers could see the equipment. The thought of the average car wash owner keeping their equipment room clean enough for that still makes me laugh. It's been at least a decade(probably more) since we built a stand like that.

OurTown

Reaction score
Heck, I can think of a few people who when they had their washes built had the door to the equipment room a "glass wall" so customers could see the equipment. The thought of the average car wash owner keeping their equipment room clean enough for that still makes me laugh.
I know of a wash near me that does not have a glass door but a pretty long glass store front type wall in the front to show off the pump stands. It is interesting looking but I would feel like I was an animal at the zoo working in there. That wash was not kept well the last time I drove by (it might be shut down now) but it might have looked awesome when new. Here is a google street view of it zoomed in.

Screenshot 2021-01-05 202730.png

Rfreeman

Reaction score
How quickly does something like that get broke into? That wouldn't last 1 night at some of my sites.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think it would last five minutes at mine.

There's a wash near me with a glass door and about a foot of storefront window on either side. It looked good when it was new 25 years ago, but when the equipment was replaced a couple years ago it looks like they put up a wall inside to hide the view into the room.

mac

Reaction score
I love the exposed belts. You would think that they would have figured some of this out by now. I’m trying to find just the stack stands and put my components on it. A lot of labor, but worth it.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Mac,
That rack is NFL...
soon to be replaced with one similar to this.

highpressequipc.jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
This one would look good behind a storefront window, don't ya think? [sarcasm mode - OFF]
View attachment 2747
There's one thing I like about it, the unit can be pushed right up against the wall and doesn't come out very far. The hardest stuff I have to work on is stacked pumps/motors where the room is too small to leave room behind it for access. As far as general appearance, I've seen much, much worse looking stuff.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Mine 10 years ago....Atrocious! Check out those hydrominder supply hoses draped across the pumpstand...No wonder it never worked very good. The design was almost impossible to work on! Glad I took pictures of it then so I can see how far its come!

slash007

Reaction score
IMAG2677.jpg

20161209_132552.jpg

Before and after in 2016 when I ripped everything out and replaced the home made stand with a JC stand I rebuilt. Also added spot free and TF while I was at it.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Trying to find an old picture where someone bolted the pumps and motors to a wood 2x4 frame with particle board under the pump and motor. It worked like you think, so they put a 2x4 wedged between the motor and pump. Permanently solved!

I just removed a Mark VII pump stand and tank mixing bench and made enough room for a new stack rack (4bay), AND an Oasis Typhoon pump rack, AND the Electric control center for it.