What's new

Self Serve Customers are driving me to drink

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Oh Boy I get to meet with the guys insurance company today and we are packed with people at the wash this should be fun.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
*WOBBLEBRUSH UPDATE* I installed 1 wobblebrush a while back just to see if the idea would work and I still get people trying to use the foam brush even though the head wobbles and they haven't inserted any money or their credit card and when I confront them about it I ask the the following question every time: "What does the phrase "Theft of Services" mean to you and usually I get this response "when people steal something" WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
*WOBBLEBRUSH UPDATE*.......................I still get people trying to use the foam brush even though the head wobbles and they haven't inserted any money or their credit card and when I confront them ............................!
1. Do you have signs posted to the effect that "USe of Facilities / equip while time is not running on meter is "Theft of Services".

2. I have noted thru experience that unless they think "WIFM"(what's in it for me) telling them something like this has little positive impact. Insrtead explaining what's in it for them i.e. the brush will hold abrasive contaminents by being used without soap flowing thru it which is not good for the finish.... they don't care about anything else.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
First off, the ONLY sign other than the instruction board a customer will ever read, is the one with the complaint phone number listed on it. Personally, I have given up on the "DO NOT" bay signs. It is simply a battle you can not win. All you will do is frustrate yourself, keep spending money on new signs and continue to clutter up your bay walls. Any responsible car wash customer does not need to be told the right thing to do, (ex. dry and detail out of the wash bay, no bucket washing, no pick-up bed washout, etc. etc. etc.) and those that don't care, are not going to abide by the signs anyways. Secondly, telling a customer about "theft of services" isn't going to do anything other than anger those that already don't care, and possibly cause them to come back at a later time and cut a hose or squirt epoxy down your coin acceptors, etc. Not only that, are you actually willing to tie up hours of your time and money to enforce a theft of services charge with the local authorities? If not, it isn't even worth bringing up. Lastly, I.M.O., while the Wobblebrush is a neat concept, it's still impractical for the current price point. ($150.00 was ridiculous and even the current price of $75 is too high). Sure they say you will save on brushes and discourage people using soap off the ground etc. but really, it is just another thing that can fail, and of course it will eventually fail and during the busiest time. Not only that, it now looks like something valuable, so the odds of it getting stolen are higher. I'd be much more upset about losing a wobblebrush wand/ hogs hair brush and hose ($135 cost) than having people occasionally pre-washing. Take off the wobblebrush and go back to the good old 48" foam brush wand for $8. With all the express washes popping up giving away cheap washes and free vacs and compressed air, now is not the time to sweat the little things. Simply give great service, chemicals, keep a clean lot, offer lots of vending and make sure all is working well daily. For years I stressed out with and argued with customers over this stuff and it never works. Remember, You get more flies with honey than vinegar. Every now and then, give free bay time, or a little tree, etc. to your good customers and when you instruct someone on the proper way to use the wash do that with them as well. you'd be amazed at how these little things will keep loyal customers and turn bad customers into good ones. Best of all, it costs next to nothing to do this. Just my 2 cents.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
...............................and those that don't care, are not going to abide by the signs anyways. ....................................................... Lastly, I.M.O., while the Wobblebrush is a neat concept, ............................. it is just another thing that can fail, and of course it will eventually fail and during the busiest time..
Lots of good points. FWIW I think my wobbleheads are going on 3 years. Changed the brushes a couple of times - No failures. Perhaps others can share their experience.

Signage helps when the wiseacre says "Where is the sign? " and you can point to it.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
Lots of good points. FWIW I think my wobbleheads are going on 3 years. Changed the brushes a couple of times - No failures. Perhaps others can share their experience.

Signage helps when the wiseacre says "Where is the sign? " and you can point to it.
Maybe, you are right about the wobble head. Personally I have never tried it. When you bought em they were still $150 a piece. Do you think you have saved that much in people having to pay for more bay time as well as less wear and tare on your brushes? I have 12 bays between 3 washes and about to add another 6 at a fourth wash. Do you think with that many bays, the savings of the wobbleheads would actually amount to something? It'd be $1,350 to convert them all at current price. I still find it hard to believe that those costs would be made up through additional bay time. I look at the wobblehead more as a "hey stick it to the non paying pre-wash guy sense of satisfaction bay item." More than a real money saver.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the wobblehead brushes for a number of reasons, the main one being I see very little abuse by people trying to use them for free. Some other members have said they have severe problems in winter when they're weeping water and "customers" will wash their whole car for free. If they were costing you as little as $5 a day in income, there's your $1,350 and then some.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
Well guess that answers my question. I'm in Phoenix. No weep needed since it rarely freezes here and it's usually so hot the left over suds is dried up within 5-10 minutes. I honestly don't mind the customer attempting to pre-clean as long as there are not cars waiting. They are going to spend money to rinse and wash soon there after anyways. Yes I only use hog hair brushes, and they may wear a little faster, but even at that, I'm only replacing every 6 months before they get too worn down.

Stuart

Reaction score
Bought a wobblehead and it was online for 2 minutes. The wand is so much heavier that I thought about my elderly customers attempting to use it and I didn't like it. I use the foam master nylon head and replace it 1x a year. I don't have problems with my setup.

Etowah

cap732000

Reaction score
I just bought another location with a lot of traffic and boy after years of owning less producing car washes I am amazed guy spins in real quick nice vehicle pukes on evrything then drives thru it couldn't get on highway I ran him down charged him five bucks hell he was out of state came in yesterday to semis
Blocking every bay and automatic it was 4 am and they thought I was crazy I had one got Lippy I just wasn't playing got a schizo that comes down and just stand with his cup looking at customers some people are afraid to stop people just pulling cars up with for sale sign and leave on the empty part of my parking lot! And this is just in one month!!! Hate to be a a$$ but man they are trying my patience oh yeah and the damn people dumping trash and filling my dumpster whew ok boys now that my blood pressure is up! Have a good day!

MEP001

Reaction score
Keep a garden sprayer and some bleach, clean up what's visible with pressure and spray it with a solution of a cup of bleach to a gallon of water to sanitize it.

Check your local laws - if they're anything like Texas (I'm pretty sure it's the same) you just need to post a couple signs on the property stating that unattended vehicles will be towed at owner's expense and list the name of a towing company that you intend to use.

Call the police on the guy with the cup and have them issue a criminal trespass warrant against him, then he can't be on your property at all or he'll go to jail.

Call your dumpster company and ask for a lock - you might still get people dumping trash next to it, but having it open is an invitation to people to use it.

None of this is anything I would get upset over.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Ever had a customer come to your wash and bring a leaf blower with them to dry off their vehicle??? I was in my office when I heard the distinctive sound of a leaf blower running wide open looked at the cameras and yep just shook my head and laughed ahhhh Jesus Lord Protector of all that is Good and Holy what will our customers try next LOL.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's a good sign that you need your own in-bay dryers.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I was about to pull the trigger on them, my concern is people who spend a ton of time in the bay which isn't a problem on normal days but busy days if I get 2 people stacked up in each s.s bay I see customers drive away I've considered installing them outside but was advised it's not a wise decision. The Heartland Car Wash show is coming up in April between a Dog Wash and In Bay Dryers $$$$

pgrzes

Reaction score
In bay dryers go great with count up timers and CC's. I see people sit there and try to get every drop off the car when they are on a credit card!!! I have 3 of them have 4 more to get. The problem with 7 bays anything you do to upgrade costs a fortune!!!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Everybody has a wet car after they wash them. Not everyone has a dog to wash. If you have the money I would install the dryers.

wash4me

Reaction score
We installed dryers and they get more use than I thought they would. I don't have a way to log the use set up. I'm thinking it's still a several year payback.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Starting a new thread re In SS Bay hand held dryers