What's new

Security System

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm looking for a system to add a little peace of mind. I would love to monitor all 8 bays and the equipment room, etc...it's just not in the budget right now.

What do you guys think of a fairly simple system like this?

Thoughts, Opinions?

Feel free to suggest different systems, I'm looking to spend around $500 and get a few cameras and a DVR.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
You could purchase a time lapse vcr and a color multiplex from ebay for around $150 and be able to scale to 16 cameras. Then purchase some cheap cameras from amazon for $50 a piece.

You could also look at purchasing b/w security cameras off ebay and replace later. Then purchase housings and lenses which you could use when you upgrade to color.

MEP001

Reaction score
You'll find out eventually that such a cheap DVR can't record the detail needed to recognize faces or read license plates. I would recommend either buying a good DVR and one or two good cameras or build a PC-based DVR. You want to be able to monitor the system remotely and have it "alarm" if it detects motion in areas you determine. You can get capture cards for a PC pretty cheap, just make sure it can record at least 640 x 480. I threw together a temporary system for less that $100 (not counting cameras). If they're still being made, I recommend a card that has on-board encoding so there's no work for the PC to do, which lessens the chance of a software crash.

I'm looking into a "megapixel IP camera" system after seeing some of the images they produce.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
After seeing a costco system in action bought one of these.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11477384&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

Was so Happy with it I bought 3 more. Now have one at each of my 4 places.

You can definitely read license plates, so Long as their is no sun galre issue, so you will need to consider that while mounting the cameras.

Depending on location bought from 1-8 addittional cameras. With with sound for each place. Also bought extension cables as needed.

Note, it does not come with DVD writer. But is set up for drop in instalation. Bought the DVD wriers on line for about $50.00 . Also set up for drop in install of a second hard drive. Did that as well. Seagate 500gb for about $75.00 on line.

Contd next post.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It can connect to a TV or monitor. First install got a 19" TV at costco for $200.00 Subsequent instals got computer monitors. It will cnnect to either. Got more size for the $ with the monitors but for sound need basic powered computer speakers and a plug adapter. Gotspeakers at best Buy and Radio shack as well as adapter for speaker plug.
It is internet hookiup ready but have not done it yet. Cameras can be set for motion or alarm record. With both hard drives it holds about 2 weeks of recording with motion setup. So far have avoided a couple of tunnel damage claims by using the video to show the customer screwed up. In fact one had the lic. Plate # of the customer that drove into the claimant so i told them / their lawyer to pursue that customer and sent them the DVD's of a couple of camera angles.

I think the most I spent total for the 16 camera system with monitor, speakers and extra cables (Cameras come with 60 feeet of cable. was $2000.00

chiggybite

Reaction score
I bought mine through plexcctv on ebay. They have complete systems or you can part out seperatly and save$ I have a CCTV 16CH DVR 500GB Internet Accessible 4Audio CH and 16 cameras. I don't think I have but @ $1600 for everything. Mine is internet accessable and I do monitor it almost constantly when I'm home. As always do your homework!!

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Earl: Thanks for that link, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to be able to view the cameras remotely, but I don't have any justification for adding a high speed internet connection since all my cc clearing is done via landline telephone service.

MEP: what do you think about the system Earl linked to? I have "zero" experience with security systems, but I think that this would definitely merit a more thorough look.

MEP001

Reaction score
It looks good and has all the main capabilities. I haven't seen the quality of the video so I can't comment on that. It does allow for both "record on alarm" and "alarm on motion detect" so you can connect it both ways to a burglar alarm system to dial you. For me the key is being able to read license plates. It's easy identification where just an image of someone's face is not.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, but I meant the recording ability of the DVR as well. The one you linked in your first post probably wouldn't be able to capture a readable plate.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
MEP: What about the one that Earl linked to. Does that one appear to have the capabilities that would allow me to read a license plate?

MEP001

Reaction score
It shows in the specs that it can only record at a resolution of 352 x 240. The problem with reading a plate at that resolution is that the camera will need to be zoomed in tight. Since Earl is using the system in tunnels, the cars are all moving through the same path and moving slowly. I'm using a camera zoomed in tight on the entrance to our wash and a DVR that records 640 x 480 and still have difficulty reading most plates that go through, and it's due to the record resolution. When in live view I can read all plates as clear as if I were standing 30 feet in front of the car.

JustClean

Reaction score
For me the key is being able to read license plates. It's easy identification where just an image of someone's face is not.
Same here. My system paid for itself in no time (3 months or so). People damaging equipment, break-ins, fraud, etc. Bubble, I would go for a good PC card and a great number plate camera. The rest can be cheap. You can replace it later. I would get a company in to sell & install the number plate camera and make them promise to get 98% of all number plates day and night before you pay them. Otherwise it could be a bit tricky and it could cost you more or you don't get all number plates.
One other thing I did was to use CAT5 cable with baluns instead of the more expensive video cable. With that you can run your power and video over the same cheap cable and use your computer's internal 12V power supply to run all cameras. Just get a slightly bigger power supply, if yours is too small. I am running 16 cameras from my standard computer power supply. That saved me some money. :)

MEP001

Reaction score
I paid only $30 for a regulated and individually protected 16-output power supply - it sounds like a neat idea to use the PC's supply, but IR cameras and cameras with a motorized iris can use up to 1A each. Most basic PC supplies wouldn't power 16 cameras and the computer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It shows in the specs that it can only record at a resolution of 352 x 240. The problem with reading a plate at that resolution is that the camera will need to be zoomed in tight. Since Earl is using the system in tunnels, the cars are all moving through the same path and moving slowly. I'm using a camera zoomed in tight on the entrance to our wash and a DVR that records 640 x 480 and still have difficulty reading most plates that go through, and it's due to the record resolution. When in live view I can read all plates as clear as if I were standing 30 feet in front of the car.
You may very well be correct. I have recently added some to my location with SS bays. I will check it out. The Tunnel Building and SS building are parallel and about 35 feet apart with cars exiting the bays toward the tunnel building and then turning. I ounted cameras on the tunnel bldg facing the dividing wall of the bays so each camera shows 2 bays. In daylight when the bay lights are off you really can't see much because the bays are darker than the sunlight . But, I will check to see if the plates are readable as they exit and if so how they look on playback. I know that with these cameras headlights will tend to make the front plate unreadable.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What all would I need to build a good pc system then? This is definitely not an area of expertise I am familiar with, but one of necessity since I will be leaving the country shortly and want to have these up and running soon.

MEP001

Reaction score
You'd have to first pick a card that fits your needs. They range from $30 to $1,500. The ones I like (that are getting hard to find) encode the video via hardware, so the PC's system requirements are very low. The cheapo one I used only required a 200 mhz processor, in fact it could record video that was too much of a load for the PC to even play back at that level. A lot are going to require at least a 3 Ghz processor, so you'd need to buy or build a PC that can handle what the card requires of it.

Check both the record and playback resolution as well as the record framerate in the device specs. Some try to bury that they can only record 320 x 240 or a combined total of 60 fps for all cameras. To get plates of cars entering and leaving you'll need fairly high framerate and resolution.

If you want to start with as little cost as possible, look at the expandable ones. A lot will let you combine four 4-camera cards in one PC into one 16-camera DVR, which is great for a starter you plan to expand later.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm going to look into it. I know it would be best guess, but what would the "starter system" you refer to probably run me?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Are you talking about a card like this? It seems a little pricey and I'm not sure that it will be able to handle 16 cameras from what I can tell. I may be a little lost, but I'm bound and determined to figure this out.

Thanks!