What's new

Security Cameras

soonermajic

Reaction score
Backstreet Surveillance is the best on the market. I have a total of 36 cameras with two provue nvr. I never miss a thing honestly.
Not saying you're wrong, as i have no experience with them, but have you ever used Lorex?
Why do you say this?

Damoni88

Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong, as i have no experience with them, but have you ever used Lorex?
Why do you say this?
Giving my opinion. The company I got to install the cameras showed me the lorex cameras they install and for the price which was around the same backstreet cameras looked better to me and had very clear audio. Just my opinion.

MEP001

Reaction score
I recently installed a Lorex 2k system at a wash. It's not bad for the price, but mine I just replaced was a QSee with a much better app and a little better image quality, and it's only a 1080p system.

Roz

Reaction score
Instead of replacing the cameras, buy yourself some "3M Perfect it Rubbing Compound 06085." Apply about a pea sized amount on a rag and rub the lens in a circular motion for around 30 seconds to a minute. Wipe it with a clean microfiber and check your camera to see if it is clear enough. If it has sat for a long period of time or has never been cleaned before you may need to do it 2-3 times, but it will fully restore the clarity to the lens.
Its a rather expensive bottle of rubbing compound (around 85 bucks) but is the best single stage product I've ever used and is a large bottle that should last you a VERY long time. Also works great removing clearcoat scratches from vehicles or on the windows in your Alaska Airlift doors (I apply it with an orbital buffer when doing vehicles and the doors though). I clean my IBA Lorex bullet cameras about every 6 months this way and it makes them work again like brand new!
Thanks will try it. Can you explain the 3M number system as I cannot find any info on it. I cannot find 06085 exactly, other number compounds are available. Wondering how the numbers affect the outcome.

Roz

Reaction score
Yup. I had followed that lead hoping that 3M would sell the case. No joy. West Marine sells some of their products. May need to find a compound number that is close to the 06085. Even 3M did not explain their number scheme.

MEP001

Reaction score
Try some Blue Magic metal polish. It's a fine enough abrasive that it'll make plexiglass look new, mild enough that it won't scratch glass. It's in the detailing section at WalMart and most auto parts stores, and some grocery stores have it in the cleaning section next to the Brasso. Before you open it, hold it up to your ear and tap on it, it's really weird.

Reactions: Roz

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I just bought another wash a year ago
Had a complete new 16 camera HD system put in in May.

maybe it applies to just govt/public safety I really don't care if the Chinese gov't sees some guy taking a leak behind my dumpster

Roz

Reaction score
maybe it applies to just govt/public safety I really don't care if the Chinese gov't sees some guy taking a leak behind my dumpster
90% of things we purchase are made in China. The Chinese probably can gain access to most cameras that have an IP address. Anything with an IP address is available with some of the hacking tools sold today. Not worth worrying about it. If someone wants to watch people washing cars they clearly have too much time on their hands and have bigger issues.

Roz

Reaction score
I tried the 3M product Perfect It 06094. Worked much better for cleaning the lens than anything I have used! Appreciate the tip.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud ... I wonder how many besides myself who are in a climate where both doors must be shut because of low enough temperatures ... who make sure that there is some type of "fan-heat strategically aimed" to clear the natural fog-steam that is created. That way the cameras & their lens remain clear enough to read license plates etc.

rshiggaon

Reaction score
We have a Lorex residential (HOME Version) from Costco at one wash and a Lorex more robust system from the Lorex website, both are 4K and set to continuous record with extra big hard drives. The HOME app is easier/faster for finding events but it shows static images until you select a feed. The higher end version allows me to view all images in real time on my phone. Both show realtime images on the site monitors located in the ERs. 4K and large HD. I would buy the dome version of cameras over bullet cameras because the dome can be replaced if it gets foggy from chemicals (IBA bays) whereas the bullet cameras need to be replaced when the lens gets foggy (foggy is the wrong term, the chemicals permanently obscure the view).
How big is your hard drive and how many cameras? Did you set all the cameras for continuous recording? I am leaning toward buying the Costco one.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
How big is your hard drive and how many cameras? Did you set all the cameras for continuous recording? I am leaning toward buying the Costco one.

I have a 3TB hard drive. I set all my cameras for motion detect and get about 3 weeks of storage. If it records continuously on all channels it rolls over every few days. I think my NVR is capable of handling up to 9 TB so between more storage and some motion detect you could get a Month pretty easily.

What really saves a lot is the feature in the lorex where you can limit the area in the screen that detects motion. So if you're watching the vacuums and there is traffic in the camera's view, you can set the NVR to ignore the areas of the screen where the traffic is going by. The whole motion thing is not perfect, sometimes I miss things I wish I had caught, but it works well enough 90%+ of the time.

Island_Landlord

Reaction score
Giving my opinion. The company I got to install the cameras showed me the lorex cameras they install and for the price which was around the same backstreet cameras looked better to me and had very clear audio. Just my opinion.
Do you have a link for the 16 camera package? Exactly what I am looking for

dax_festival

Reaction score
We actually just use nest cams & have been happy with them. cost effective & does the job.