What's new

Security Cameras...Worth it?

gshick

Reaction score
Hello,
I own 1 as well as manage 5 other SS car washes in the Richmond, Va area with my dad and 1 other employee. We have been in business for over 20 years and have always had quite a problem with excessive littering, household trash, construction debris, blasting out the back of pick up trucks, spray painting ect. at our locations. Anyone had any luck catching these jokers/charging them? My thought is just that having cameras would be a big enough deterrent to stop most of this behavior. Anyone notice a change in these types of behaviors/actions from their customers pre vs post security cameras? Really curious on whether the investment would be worth it considering we spend an inordinate amount of time just sweeping up trash and cleaning up dumb crap when we would love to focus more on equipment function, upgrades ect. Thanks!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Realistically, the only way you’ll catch someone is if there’s a biz name on the vehicle, or if you recognize the vehicle when they show up when you’re there. I’ve been able to have the cops go get some people when I give them the plate number after dumping. But if they just make a mess, it’d be tough to get the law after them.

Mostly I use the cameras to watch if I need to go clean up after people that make a mess after hours and such. Other times I’ve seen loiterers and called the cops to go push them out.

I’d put them in for piece of mind.

chaz

Reaction score
Love my 32/cameras, assorted sensors, and two way vx. Great peach of mind.....though I’m watching too much....says my wife

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I spent roughly $7,500 on my camera system in the end. 16 cameras, 32 TB of storage. I figured if I ever have a big event they'll pay for themselves.

I can pic a plate from anywhere on my property, day or night, and even out into the street. I can get registrant info easily. I've called people up for leaving messes and asked them to be a little more polite and respectful in the future. It's always funny to hear the surprise in their voices knowing that I found them.

Alberta north

Reaction score
My experience is bite the bullet, rcmp, peace officers don't do anything.
Do it hands on, we have kids that park outside throwing garbage out, I was there and seen them so I boxed them in with my truck.
Grabbed a garbage can from inside and stood out front and told them to start picking up garbage whether it was theirs or not. When it was all clean I moved my truck.
I still have problems but most of the time if it's kids they listen.

If it gets worse I will be picking the garbage up and leaving the garbage bag at the RCMP station!
I will let you know how that goes!!

Carwash_Netherlands

Reaction score
The laws and regulation might be different in my country but here are my thoughts:

Cams are perfect for checking if it is busy/slow. Also, like already said, it is nice to see if you really have to go to the site to clean up or you can watch you favorite tv show.

In case of any break ins etc. it might be useful for insurence/police. But in my 8 years of being a carwash owner, I had bad luck getting anything done with recordings at the police.
I have people that dump mud from the back of their pick up, threw away their garbage bags in my carwash, etc. But there is no way the police does anything about that here. I have a carwash, right? It supposed to get dirty...

Unfortunatly, I can not get the registrant info. So there is nothing I could do with al the license plates I collect.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I spent roughly $7,500 on my camera system in the end. 16 cameras, 32 TB of storage. I figured if I ever have a big event they'll pay for themselves.

I can pic a plate from anywhere on my property, day or night, and even out into the street. I can get registrant info easily. I've called people up for leaving messes and asked them to be a little more polite and respectful in the future. It's always funny to hear the surprise in their voices knowing that I found them.
Must be different in Missouri. I can’t get registrant info from license plates. If they do something illegal such as dumping, I can give the info to the cops and they’ll go to their registered address and confront them. If out of jurisdiction, oh well. Originally I bought them thinking I’d catch idiots, but quickly learned the main value of them is to check the property.

I also use them for safety in the middle of the night when I’m there late working. Keeping the equip room door shut, someone knocks, I can check to see who’s outside and decide whether to open the door or not.

washallday

Reaction score
I use cameras at both my locations and they have helped cut down on damage to eq. - building - spraying out beds - house trash - complaints about wash not working right when it did and it was customer error. Here is what i do. 1. You need to have cameras that get the face close up. 2. some that get plates. 3. Then I post the photos on the front of my building under plastic frame with info on photos, plate etc. with on very top in red REWARD. Then wait and someone always calls may take a week may take three months, and this is how it goes. Hey calling about reward if i tell you who this is are you sure they won't find out because that's my brother he is a real Ahole, or that's my X. Something like that. This has corrected the problems from happening to maybe one problem every three to five months if that. I also post pictures of who I have banned from property. My customers love it.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Cameras are a must nowadays. Mine have paid for themselves tenfold. 2 times my automatic was heavily damaged, caught people because of cameras. Several people have run into my dryers exiting automatic, we get a tag # entering automatic. Have several times caught people filling dumpster, with a piece of trash with name, address and video I have confronted and they come back and remove when told of video. I have Lorex and Qsee systems. Qsee's customer service has gone to hell. I believe if you go onto the talkcarwash facebook page they have a member discount code to use on a Lorex system. I would recommend using ip camera system. The cat5 wire is easier to work with and you can by the wire a bit easier. Once you learn how to crimp the cable ends install is very simple to do.

Randy

Reaction score
I couldn’t imagine running a car wash now without cameras. Since we installed cameras we’ve got a lot of people doing things that we’ve had to get the police involved in. I’m working on one right now, semi-truck tractor tried to drive into the bay, didn’t fit, torn out part of the ceiling and left. They were surprised when I e-mailed the video to the owner of the company. You name it I’ve seen it on the video system. It never seems to end, people are so stupid, they see the signs and still do whatever they want and then they are ****ed when the police show up.

gshick

Reaction score
So in your experience, cameras are great for big stuff like the guy taking out your ceiling but not as effective as a deterrent for the less serious stuff like illegal dumping ect.?

Randy

Reaction score
So in your experience, cameras are great for big stuff like the guy taking out your ceiling but not as effective as a deterrent for the less serious stuff like illegal dumping ect.?
No I have the police on speed dial and I call the police for just everything that goes on that's illegal. Since I installed cameras a lot of the little BS kind of stuff has slowed down, illegal dumping, household garbage etc. We also take some of the worse cases to small claims court, that's always interesting. We have yet to lose a case before small claims court.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Went in this morning and watched video for about 3 hours. Someone broke open a vacuum cleanout. And tried to get into my storage trailer. Got everything on video and had Officer there reviewing it with me. He will be paying the culprit a visit. Got a clear tag # and a few face shots, so should be an easy charge. Collecting damages are another thing!!

gshick

Reaction score
Did you put up signage notifying customers of the presence of cameras?? If so what is the language/placement of signs. Also, what brand and resolution cameras did you install? I've heard Lorex is inexpensive but good quality and easy to install/operate.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
As cheap as they are now there's no reason to not get them.

For less than 1K and you can get a 16 camera system that will outperform a system that cost 10K ten years ago.

Etowah

pgrzes

Reaction score
I just got the signs Kleen Rite offers and posted them around the property.
As far as system I would recommend Lorex. I have a 2k-ip system 16 cameras that I paid about $2k for about a year ago. I would suggest using an ip system as cat 5 wire is easier to aquire then the siamese cable. You dont need the transformers with the ip system and you can add cameras easier. Home depot sells the crimpers for the cat 5 wire. Watch a video and learn how to crimp the ends and you can easily install your own system saving thousands of dollars.

MEP001

Reaction score
I saw a wash where the owner ran large conduit all the way down the exit end of the bays with a pull box in the center of each bay. One camera was attached to the lid of each box, so he had perfect angle to get plates and zero wires exposed.

jreding

Reaction score
Cameras are a must! I'd recommend an NVR system with autofocus cameras as you can "zoom" in on faces and license plates. My PD doesn't want to work very hard pursuing miscreants unless a crime is involved. I just had someone driving (not very well!) a U Haul truck that hit a vacuum - the video saved my skin - sent video and pics to U Haul who is now sending me a check to replace with a brand new vac. Couldn't have done that without clear vid and ability to ID the truck number.

Rudy

Reaction score
Be careful putting up dummy cameras....or....placing signs that suggest the facility is "monitored".

I can't remember the details....but, someone was successfully sued because the victim said the cameras and signs gave her a "sense of security"....where none existed.

The courts agreed, and the business paid.

MEP001

Reaction score
Be careful putting up dummy cameras....or....placing signs that suggest the facility is "monitored".

I can't remember the details....but, someone was successfully sued because the victim said the cameras and signs gave her a "sense of security"....where none existed.

The courts agreed, and the business paid.
I remember that, it was partly based on the signs saying "security cameras." It's recommended you use the word "surveillance" instead.