What's new

Security Cameras Maintenance & Troubleshooting

Carl

Reaction score
Was curious about a couple of issues I'm having w/ two of my carwash's security cameras and if anyone has a guess as to what's going on, I'd love to hear your thoughts:

1) I have a 7.5-year-old outdoor security camera which looks out at the self-service bay meterboxes for a pair of my bays. Whenever it gets to around 17 degrees or below, this camera stops working and on my monitor, this camera's view just goes to "blue screen". But like clockwork, whenever the temperature gets back to around 17 degrees and is on its way up, this camera then works just fine until the temperature outside goes back down to around 17 degrees headed downward. It's been doing this for many winters now. I just learn to "live with it" but was curious why it might be doing this when the other two like model cameras which "watch" my other four self-service bays function just fine no matter how cold it gets outside?

2) I have another 7.5-year-old security camera that is inside my touchfree automatic bay. It's given us a good view inside that bay until recently. Now the lens gets very foggy to where you can't see much of anything w/ this camera, kind of like if you were driving in your car and your windshield gets covered w/ that "foggy glaze" until you turn on the proper blower setting (defogger/defroster) to clear your windshield. Is there something built in to such cameras that makes the lens not fog up that maybe isn't working anymore, hence the "fog-up" issue? I can't just wipe off this camera's lens because the "mess" seems to be on the INSIDE of the camera lens.

Hope your winter season has been a good one & thanks. - Carl :eek:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The seal broke on that one, and moisture is inside, replace it, nothing that you can do.

PEI

Reaction score
In response to question #1. Most outdoor cameras have a temperature operating range between 14 degrees F and 131 degrees F. More than likely your lower operating range is about 17 degrees F. You can put it in an enclosure with heat, replace it with one that has a lower operating temperature, or live with it.

In response to question #2. Bill is right. You need to replace it.