What's new

scrolling message entrance light supplier

guywashingcars

gary-Charmaine's Husband
Reaction score
I just modified and installed a Dixmore bay timer with a scrolling led display in my tunnel for an entrance purchase verification sign. I use the welcome message to scroll a message telling the customers they are to receive the triple wax application. (Had two used units I discontinued using a few years ago.) I just market a wash and a works wash at this point so it's doing the job. I would like to find a supplier of a scrolling message sign that could store 4 or 5 preprogrammed messages and change the message using the tunnel controller. It would have to be rated for wash down duty. I have seen some automotive ones people mount in their cars back windows but they don't look too hardy and you change the messages using a remote control. Looking for something that could be hard wired to the tunnel controller. Looks alot better than the blinking neon tubes I've used in the past.

MEP001

Reaction score
I asked pretty much the same question on the old forum about a year ago and never got a response. I do remember a system call Bay Commander, which used a scrolling message board and a PLC to operate all functions in a bay and display them as they functions were selected, so I know something like that can be done. I wanted something to replace the cheesy-looking flashing lights on a Vector.

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
guywashingcars:

IDX makes a display which may suit this purpose. It their double wide BS820 Jumbo scrolling message centre - The following is from IDX's website:

The BS820 Jumbo Message Center has 2? high x 16? wide display with eye-popping ULTRA-BRIGHT LEDS that are markedly visible in direct sunlight. The enclosure is 22.25? wide x 7.375? high x 2.50? deep. You can program 9 different 30-character ?Service Messages? for display, each being controlled by a separate 24VAC Service Sense input signal. The unit continuously scrolls a programmable ?Welcome Message? until a 24VAC signal is present on the external Timer Sense terminal (P1-6). Then it then it scans all 9 24VAC Service Sense terminals (P3-1 to P3-9) and sequentially and repetitively displays the ?Service Messages? for each of them that are active.

The BS820 Jumbo Message Center is perfect for use in conjunction with most auto tellers in an automatic carwash to convey pricing or specials information to customers. It can be used as a "Welcome and Information Sign" to promote the services offered to customers waiting in line, or it can be used as an ?Instruction Sign? and/or ?Exit Sign? within a rollover carwash. The BS820 has many other uses such as ?Entrance Signage" for an indoor carwash or just for a message center promoting the wash.

dzeppelin

Rapidshine
Reaction score
Just the other day I embarked on something similar and ended up doing this. I saw at sam's club a 26 inch sign that you could program messages made by beta brite. I wanted to put something at the end of the tunnel to say thank you as well as we have gift certificates, do fundraising and some local news like supporting local events and teams. This particular item runs about 200$ and you see them inside of windows at many retailer. The catch is that it cannot get wet. So I built at stand and a plexiglass box to house outside my tunnel. Just plugs into an outlet and has usb cord to hook to computer for easy editing. I do take it down every night but a small price to pay as I we just added it to the opening and closing process. Its worked great so far. I found it odd that there really is not one made for outdoor that is inexpensive. So had to once again do it on my own.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's an idea, but not really what was asked for by the original poster.

robblackburn

Reaction score
I have thought of doing the same thing with the beta brite unit from Sam's Club. I have tried to find a weather proof plexi glass box but have not had any luck. How did you build this - any pictures. Thx.

dzeppelin

Rapidshine
Reaction score
While it might not have been quite on point it was an option without spending going to the expense of messing with a controller wires etc. You can pre program several messages and then with a remote change them to those you want. I believe it has 512k memory so you can make it flash scroll, and all sorts of fun eye catching stuff.

To answer the qestion re: the box, I will take some photos. To give you an idea I just bought some plexiglass and cut it to size, painted it black to act as a sun visor. I glued with 1 minute apoxy. As far as heat, I mentioned that I take it out every night so on the side with the cord it is open. That is where the heat vent is anyway. I figured it was not much different then sitting in a window.

guywashingcars

gary-Charmaine's Husband
Reaction score
The IDX display can interface with the wash controller so that it can be used for a service to be vended sign. It can scroll through the services that the car will receive as well as display a thankyou or welcome message. I believe it is hardened for outdoor use. You can call for the sign to scroll any combination of preprogrammed messages depending on which contacts the wash controller makes. The customers seem to like the scrolling message I have verifying purchase of the works wash at my location. Looks more contemporary than blinking neon signs or backlit transluscent instruction boards.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
dz, sounds like you have thought it out. You remove it at night, so it won't get stolen? I don't remember how much heat they generate, I use to have one, but used it indoors. If it doesn't have any vent holes, then I imagine there isn't a problem, even if you added some room for ambient heat to dissipate it should be fine.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
After hearing a story about a 19 year kid stealing from a wash three different ways we came up with an idea. After finding it difficult to find water proof, large, and expensive LED displays we purchased an LG 37? LCD display from a local retailer for $999. We brought it to a local steel fabricator and built a stainless steel water proof enclosure for it with a Lexan cover. We will also use an axial fan to push dry air through conduit into the enclosure. It will prevent moisture from entering and also cool the enclosure. A second conduit at the top of the enclosure feed the power and video cable plus serve as the exhaust route for the air. We are going to mount it to the entrance wall to show our customers what our attendants rang up on our Micrologic POS system. The LCD display will be connected to the second video port of the prep area?s POS computer. Custom messages could also be designed to market specific items corresponding to services purchased. Customers paying full price could be reminded to purchase discount wash tickets for example. The POS software will have to be modified to allow this to work but they said they could have it working in a couple of weeks.

Morris Hoole

Reaction score
Maybe better late than never. I just read the question about a scrolling message sign. Dixmor has the DX2018 which can have up to 15 messages preprogrammed in it and then be changed with a PLC quite easily.Various manufacturers are using it to show the customers what is happening on their rollovers.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko has one, programable, waterproof. It comes with either red or green LED's
Here is one mounted at the entrance of the tunnel: