What's new

Scent for combo vac

Reaction score
I have always used water based fragrance in my combo vacs but have always been disappointed in the fact that the scent doesn't last very long. Would the oil based fragrance do better in this regard? If so, why would anyone use water based? What are the pros and cons?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I use Nu Scents. Comes in nice concentrates so easy to store and I ad washer solvent antifreeze instead of water to keep it from freezing in the winter.

MEP001

Reaction score
Oil-based definitely lasts longer, good ones last at least a week. I noticed the same thing about water-based years ago the first time I tried it, the smell was gone in a few minutes.

I've had a lot of people tell me that so-and-so said never to use oil-based because it clogs the machine. I've seen cheap oil-based stuff collect some gummy crud in the bottom that can clog it up but I've never had an issue. I use Fragramatics' which smells like what it's supposed to. Kleen-Rite's all smells like moldy chocolate cake to me.

slash007

Reaction score
I use KR scents, oil based so they last long and don't freeze. I have Pina Colada, New Car and Black Ice (night frost) in all my machines. I used to have Wild Cherry in all of them, but found that it clogged the lines after 2-3 months. Had that happen consistently in all machines with the WC until I finally wised up and stopped using it. Haven't had a clog since.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
So the only plus side to water based is no clogging up the equipment?
I think it's a huge advantage to buy concentrates and be able to dilute them. ( I have 10 machines with Fragrance.) Much easier to share 4 oz bottle inventory than drag cases of gallon around.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I use oil based as I think they're better overall. I did not like kleen rites scents. Fragramatics are a little better. Warsaws's oil based scents smell much better than either IMO. The Coleman vacs do have trouble with fragrances clogging their solenoid plungers and sticking them open though.

sparkey

Reaction score
I use strictly Warsaw oil based. Never have used water based. My reason was to prevent freezing.