What's new

Scam Alert!!! - Dave Walker

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Had a "Dave Walker" contact me about detailing a 2012 Cadillac Escalade recently. After exchanging emails and texts to get my questions answered, I sent him an estimate. Originally he had some story about how it had been in an accident and repaired, now wanted it cleaned up. After getting him his estimate, he presented me with some sad story about how he's been in the hospital with lung cancer, needed to have the car towed to me, but the tow company didn't have a way to accept credit cards. Wanted me to charge his card $3,000 + my detailing fee, then send him the $3,000 so he can pay the tow company. I declined.

I assume he had a stolen cc # and wanted to make a quick buck.

Just wanted you all to be aware.

Copy of my last email that I declined from him below.

"Thanks for the detailed email and am okay with the total cost, Thats great, I want you to know i should have come talk to you in person but am presently in a hospital out of town as i was diagnose of lung cancer and had to spend time in intensive care so bear with me....the car is with the tow guy and theres no insurance involved.
I will be paying you in ful upfront with my credit card now and i want you to do me a favor regarding the towing of the car cos the tow guy does not have the facility to accept credit card, and due to my health challenges i couldnt handle the errand myself.
The favor is i will give you my card details now to put thru for $3219 and once that clears in your account, i want you to deduct $219 as your payment and help send the remaining $3000 to the tow guy once he receives the money he will have the car delivered to ur shop next week so u can start the job asap.

Kindly get back to me with your cell phone number, the type of credit card you take, the merchant you use and how many days it'll take for the funds to be available?"

MEP001

Reaction score
Did the texts come from 812-610-4557?

jfmoran

Reaction score
Yup, not a new scam though, been around for years.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
When it comes to scams. Let's say an out of state advertiser calls ... you give out your CC to charge. A few weeks later you realize the ad copy is abominable & another advertiser on their supposedly SEO optimized for their advertisers website ... say they never heard of the company.

The question is ... has any of you been successful with getting the CC fraud division doing a needed reverse charge after filling out the paperwork & providing what you think is adequate evidence?