What's new

Save a cell phone

soapy

Reaction score
Over the years I have had a few cell phones get wet and stop working. Usually I just have to buy a new replacement phone. Here is a tip to try first.
Take the battery out of the cell phone and the completly immerse your cell phone in isopropyl rubbing alcohol and swirl it around. The alcohol displaces the water inside the phone so the contacts don't corrode. Let the phone dry out naturally and then put the battery back in and charge the phone. This has worked a couple of times for me.

Rudy

Reaction score
I've also been told to put the phone into a sealed plastic bag filled with dry instant rice. The rice pulls the moisture out.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Like many of us in this business I have lost several cell phones that have been "misplaced" in water. I almost can hardly wait until I do it again to try one of these methods to see it it works. Thanks for the tips.

galen

Reaction score
Water phones

OK, I'll confess. Three years ago, I had bought a fish&ski boat. Brand new. I had not owned a boat in 15 years, but had PWC's. OK I'm ready to launch the boat but I'm by myself. I unhook the bow line from the trailer, big mistake. I back the boat down the ramp real slow or I thought it was real slow. That boat shot off the trailer into the lake. OK I know now that it wasn't going anywhere but seeing a 35K boat shoot out into the lake, makes you do stupid things, like jump in after it without concern of whats in your pockets. I'm two hundred miles from home. I got to get this damn phone working. I spent hours taking every screw and layer of the phone apart. Dried it with a hair drier. I still have the phone and it still works. But it has been retired to the closet. Just incase I pull a bonehead move again. :eek: Did I mention the Nextell phone I dropped in a fire, and found it later after hearing it ring. I couldn't answer it because the plastic had melted so badly. But it still worked! Then there was this hungry horse. I could never get rid of that smell. Never mind!

Last edited:

bigleo48

Reaction score
I've worked in the wireless industry for many years. The number one cause for cell phones getting wet is with guys at the can. With their belt undone, the phone slips off and falls into the toilet.

To remedy this, first flush the toilet :), retreive the phone and then proceed with soapy's idea.

BigLeo

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Big Leo, Haven't lost one there yet but I will definitely be more careful in the future in that scenario. That one would be a bit embarrassing to explain.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
My church accepts old phones and re-uses them in their missions. And, you can also donate old phones for our soldiers to use in battle theatres.