What's new

Salt - salt - salt

washallday

Reaction score
Water softener salt. Why is the price so HIGH? Does anyone have a place that sells it in bulk at a bulk price? The best price is $4.94 for a 40 lb bag (Pa.). Why doesn't Kleen rite sell it in bulk?

copperglobe

Reaction score
I get mine delivered via a pump truck straight into the barrel. $4.40 per 40 lbs. Otherwise $3.96 at local farm store and $5.48 at Home Depot (both 40 lbs bags).

chaz

Reaction score
Water softener salt. Why is the price so HIGH? Does anyone have a place that sells it in bulk at a bulk price? The best price is $4.94 for a 40 lb bag (Pa.). Why doesn't Kleen rite sell it in bulk?
I would imagine that even if KR offered softener salt in bulk and if they gave it away for free......the shippIng would still be substantially more than your local sources!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We wait for a sale & hope that one of the places are the ones who put a pallet on our pickup truck. Our neighbor has been kind enough to allow his forklift used for a few minutes & we also now store the salt outside rather than using valuable inside space. We are due to get some ... it looks like 4.06 is the price. So far no sign of salt bag thieves ...

I was somewhat in disbelief when I suggested to my fellow laundromat owners that they should all have softeners depending on their local grains of hardness. Their response was like I was from Mars suggesting such a wasteful proposition. As few old timers said ... it was one of the best things they did when they got rid of their water softeners.

Answers also came in as the "customers cause too much washing machine sudsing even without softeners" and "water softeners are too expensive to maintain along with costly salt". I am thinking they are cutting corners in the wrong way & are shortchanging the end result of more thorough clothes cleaning on the backs of their specific customers vs mine. I guess the WDF operators feel the extra cost of their in house soap ... is less than softener upkeep ... not sure.

Maybe we should advertise more about our "SOFT WATER" vs our competitors! On our kingkoin website & facebook???

soapy

Reaction score
I get mine from a local over the road trucking firm. I get a pallet load at a time and I pick it up at their site. We trade washes for salt so my price is probably under a dollar per 40 pd. bag.

washallday

Reaction score
soapy can you let us know what contact you have for your salt?

chaz

Reaction score
I’m at Costco often enough ....I typically grab 4-5 bags each visit. 50lbs (yes 50lbs) in my area at $4.99. Not too big a hassle except typically tear.