What's new

S/S Bay convert to lube bay

spotfree

Reaction score
Okay,
I've been researching this concept for over six months about converting one of my self serve bays to a lube bay. Most of my car wash business is now in the automatics and I could easily convert one bay without a negative impact on S/S revenue. I have my costs at a reasonable rate and there are no lube bays in the area.

My problem is all the auto repair shop owners and car wash brokers I know say there is no money in a single bay quick lube. Anyone out there with experience making this work? Does the cost of a major engine repair because your employee didn't tighten the filter or plug take away your profit?

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
The quick lube I used to use told me same thing…no money in doing oil changes. The original owner sold out and the new owners have turned it into a repair shop.

dax_festival

Reaction score
From my experience, I would not convert. 5 years ago we bought a wash with a one bay lube attached. By the time all expenses are paid we barely break even. Maybe a couple grand ahead. The only reason we keep it is because there is a lube guy there 8 hours a day, 7 days a week in case anything goes wrong at the wash. Some days he can do 5 changes, other days there are 20 changes Trust me, he does more car wash attending then oil changes. If you do decide to convert, one thing we do is give a free 10$ (top package) iba wash with every full service oil change. Hope that helps.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
What does the math say?? How much are you currently making as it is. How much does it cost to convert? How many cars a day will a lube bay do, and at what profit. Maybe tweaking the SS bay with another function or two will be more profitable,a price change or more vending could add profit. In our area the walmart is $25 for an oil change, A large Gm dealer is $19.99 and the chrysler dealer is $16.95. In my area it is not very profitable to do oil changes, and if it hit your area could make it a struggle. Stop by your local oil change places near closing time and get an oil change, ask the guys how it's going and say--How many Oil changes do you guys do a day. I'm sure they will tell you the secrets- if you don't talk to the boss.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Almost all of the lube shops that did lube only are gone in my area. I can get my oil changed at the Chevy dealer for $15.95, in and out in 30 minutes guaranteed or the next oil change is free. A course they always try to sell you all the stuff you don’t need. I see the clowns from the lube shops standing by the road with a sign saying. “Now $10 off” or “Next Customer $10 off” They always look very unprofessional, like they just climbed out of a dumpster, dirty, smoking cigarettes, etc.

MEP001

Reaction score
Having a business at a car wash can also help the car wash itself. Having the lube shop employees take care of the car wash customers and minor problems as well as keep the place tidy will go a long way toward overall profit, even if the lube shop itself barely covers the employees' salary. I have to agree though, a 1-bay lube isn't going to make much money, even if there's a solid line of cars. Think about the overhead needed for oil, filters and equipment and a maximum of three oil changes per hour without a pit, and even if you could do it with two employees it would take a touch of magic to turn a profit.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Success in the lube business is measured by trip generation and average ticket. For example, some of my clients may see 50 to 75 lubes or more on a Saturday with an average ticket of $45 or more.

The $45 average comes from having reasonable oil change prices and selling additional services; wiper blades, radiator flush, tire rotation, etc.

So, do a sanity check.

A one-bay lube would have a break-even of about 10 vehicles a day based on an average ticket of $30.

Do you believe the location is capable of attracting 15 or more cars a day?

Do you believe your customers are willing to spend, on average, at least $30 per visit?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You might also bear in mind that Jiffy Lube for one is famous for up selling things that people don't need. IMO this is done because the individual franchise isn't making enough money. I don't think any business starts out with the idea of screwing the customer, it evolves because they can't make it without it.

MEP001

Reaction score
pitzerwm said:
You might also bear in mind that Jiffy Lube for one is famous for up selling things that people don't need.
They're even more famous for charging people for services they don't perform. Some news channel sent cars to four different stores for a transmission flush, and three of them never connected the flush machine to the car.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
That is another part of it. A friend of mine went to a Firestone for a lube and was sold a set of brakes that she didn't need, I had just looked at them, so I know they were better than 50%. She didn't think to call me before saying ok.

Speaking of that, I bought new front brakes for my Honda Van, because it had 100K on it and I figured that they would need them. Turned out that they were still 40%, but since I'd already bought the new hot dog pads, I went ahead and changed them out.

spotfree

Reaction score
lube bay conversion

The last three years, I've averaged 100+ days of rain or snow per year, so I am trying to figure out how to generate some cash flow on bad weather days. I've been doing detailing, but virtually no one wants to detail their car during bad weather. I believe I could do 8 to 10 cars a day @ $39.95 - $44.95 a day and I own my property. I would offer a free wash with an oil change.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My full service detailing customers usually keep rainy day appointments because they book so far ahead and we do reminder calls.

Phone calls for bookings drop off on rainy days but not completely.