What's new

Ryko Ultrasonic 2001 problem

slash007

Reaction score
I will let him know the information in your above post. The problem I've had with monitoring it is that I cannot duplicate the problem. Both times the tech was out everything worked fine, so there was nothing to notice. Without the problem being consistent, finding the exact cause has been near impossible.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are right. An intermittent problem like that will be difficult to replicate unless they really understand how the machine works and can monitor the ultrasonic readings. A factory trained Ryko technician should be able to monitor the sensors and see if one of them is fluctuating. When the sensors are calibrated, they setup windows of what is acceptable for readings, and what isn't which gives the reading some latitude. When the readings fluctuate and bounce outside of where the windowa are set, that is when problems show up, but a tech can see if they bounce.

slash007

Reaction score
I checked and definitely don't have any ultrasonics mounted on the walls. Just two on the front of the machine and two on the back. This problem had been exclusive to my OHD, but a couple of times the past 3-4 days my FoamBrite has given the same message (our car wash is busy). For the Foambrite, if I reset via the emergency stop you get the "please pull forward" message, but then usually something doesn't work right with the wash and the message changes to "our equipment is temporarily out of order". The first time it occurred I found that the door on the right side of the foambrite (electrical area) didn't seem to be closed properly, so I adjusted that and it worked fine for a while. Now it has happened again and I don't see anything wrong. Would a problem with the door not being perfectly shut possibly cause an intermittent error?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
On your OHD, if it is running the 23953-006 program you mentioned, this model requires side ultrasonic sensors. They may not be mounted directly to the wall, but could also be on stands approximately 10-12' from the entrance of the tracks. They will be about 3feet off the floor.

At the end of the wash, if you look at the PLC of the machine, you should be able to see PLC output Y31 come on for a few seconds. The sign should say wash complete and for the customer to exit. If things are working as they should, after the vehicle goes forward and is no longer below the machine, you should see PLC output Y32 go "off" for 2 seconds, then back on.

For the SoftGloss, this functions a little differently, but same concept.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
On a SoftGloss, the programs will vary somewhat, but all operate very similarly. We are looking at the bayswitch, backup air switch and the photoeyes mounted below the wheel scrubs as the vehicle leaves. When the vehicle exits, we need to see the bayswitch signal go "off". The backup air switch will pulse "on", then "off". After this happens, we should see the photoeye signal go "Off", then "On" when the tire blocks it. This happens for both the front and rear tire. If those signals happen in order, twice, vehicle detect is satisfied and you will see the "alternate arming device" output on the PLC go off for two seconds, then back on. If it does not happen in order, or is missing one of the steps, vehicle detect won't get satisfied until a timer in the program times out.
Most of the time when we hear of this issue, the backup air switch has failed. Look at the electrical schematic in the service manual that came with the machine to find that input on the PLC. Each time you step on the backup air switch, you need to see that input go "On", then "Off". If not, it is bad.

I can't tell you what inputs and outputs apply as they may be different depending on the vintage of your equipment.

slash007

Reaction score
On your OHD, if it is running the 23953-006 program you mentioned, this model requires side ultrasonic sensors. They may not be mounted directly to the wall, but could also be on stands approximately 10-12' from the entrance of the tracks. They will be about 3feet off the floor.

At the end of the wash, if you look at the PLC of the machine, you should be able to see PLC output Y31 come on for a few seconds. The sign should say wash complete and for the customer to exit. If things are working as they should, after the vehicle goes forward and is no longer below the machine, you should see PLC output Y32 go "off" for 2 seconds, then back on.

For the SoftGloss, this functions a little differently, but same concept.
If it is possible to upload pictures, I can show you my touch free bay. There are not side mounted ultrasonics, just the ones on the machine. I do not have tracks either as it is the treadle design with no tracks, just open bay. Nothing is mounted on stands or on the wall. My eeprom says 23952-006 then 23953-006 right under it.