What's new

Ryko Ultrasonic 2001 problem

slash007

Reaction score
I have a Ryko Ultrasonic 2001 connected to a Jim Coleman Entery Wizard 1.0 and I am having a problem that I have worked on for over two months now and cannot figure out. Every few cars, when the next customer puts in there money instead of getting that standard message that says "please pull forward", they get a message that says "our car wash is busy, please wait". This message stays on indefinitely until the software is reset or the emergency stop is pushed/pulled. What is happening is that somehow after a wash is complete, the reset signal is not being sent so the EW thinks that the previous wash is still in progress. I have been unable to reproduce this on my own, but it randomly has this problem every few washes, so about once per day and sometimes more. I have spoken to several people about the problem and none of their suggestions have worked. I started by checking/replacing the reset relay with no luck. I then tried a different cycle control box and that wasn't the problem either. I then even switched the whole EW pc with my other automatic and it made no difference. The problem has to be from the UHD but since it is random, I cannot test for it or reproduce it on demand. I have resorted to leaving my phone # visible around the EW so that when it happens customers call me and I then instruct them to just walk into the bay and push/pull the emergency stop, but this is a daily problem so I need to find the problem. I do not have any error codes when it happens, just the standard two dashes. I am not sure where to look next. Any input/direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

soapy

Reaction score
I have experienced this event on a couple of my hamilton ACWs. Some things I have noticed that cause this to occur are 1. If a customer is pushing the wash selection button at the same time the wash reset signal is being sent from the OHD the reset signal is blocked and not recognized by the ACW. On the Hamilton acw you can vary the length of time that the wash signal is sent and I have found that setting it on the maximum time 4 seconds helps.
The OHD can be set up to send the reset signal in 2 ways. One is that the signal is always on and when it is interupted that is the reset signal. The other way is that it is always off and a signal pulse is sent for the wash reset. Check to see which way works best for the jim coleman unit. The hamilton units also have a passive or active switch inside the cabinet that must be in the proper position to work correctly. I am not sure if a JC unit has a similar switch.
Last but not least is that RYKO has a program that will send a reset signal to the acw about every 20 minutes if the wash has not been activated. I have used this program on mine and it has eliminated a lot of these problems.

slash007

Reaction score
I have experienced this event on a couple of my hamilton ACWs. Some things I have noticed that cause this to occur are 1. If a customer is pushing the wash selection button at the same time the wash reset signal is being sent from the OHD the reset signal is blocked and not recognized by the ACW. On the Hamilton acw you can vary the length of time that the wash signal is sent and I have found that setting it on the maximum time 4 seconds helps.
The OHD can be set up to send the reset signal in 2 ways. One is that the signal is always on and when it is interupted that is the reset signal. The other way is that it is always off and a signal pulse is sent for the wash reset. Check to see which way works best for the jim coleman unit. The hamilton units also have a passive or active switch inside the cabinet that must be in the proper position to work correctly. I am not sure if a JC unit has a similar switch.
Last but not least is that RYKO has a program that will send a reset signal to the acw about every 20 minutes if the wash has not been activated. I have used this program on mine and it has eliminated a lot of these problems.
Thanks for your response. Mine is setup so that the relay is always on and the OHD drops the signal to reset after a wash. The entry wizard is a touch screen and I have had the problem even hours after the last wash, so it can't be because a wash was selected as the signal was being sent. I do have the passive/active switch and it is in the correct position. I will look into the program you mentioned and see if I can get that. Would I need to speak to Ryko for that?

Someone mentioned that the exit prox sensor could be going bad and causing the issue, but then another told me that if it was the prox, then it would just go bad and not work fine most of the time. I would also get a code if it was the prox. Any way that the prox could be the problem?

soapy

Reaction score
The exit prox also turns off the dryers if a car leaves early. Do you notice the dryer running after a car has left the bay? Clean exit photo eye if it does. I have seen a dirty photo eye cause intermitant problems. Ryko should have a program copy.

slash007

Reaction score
The exit prox also turns off the dryers if a car leaves early. Do you notice the dryer running after a car has left the bay? Clean exit photo eye if it does. I have seen a dirty photo eye cause intermitant problems. Ryko should have a program copy.
I haven't noticed the dryers staying on if a car exits too fast, but will pay attention and see. I will also clean the photo eye just in case and call ryko to get the program. If anyone has come across this problem or has any suggestion, please chime in. Thanks.

slash007

Reaction score
I called Ryko today and they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about software that would send the reset signal after twenty minutes of no activity. Is there a certain dept. that I should speak to?

slash007

Reaction score
I tried thoroughly cleaning all sensors, but just had the issue pop up a few minutes ago so that did not fix the problem. I have also tried calling Ryko and they acted like I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about in regards to the mentioned software, so if anyone else has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
You could install a timer in the coinbox to give itself a reset signal every 10 min. Most all of our Ryko's have Ryko coinboxes and there is a lot of communication between the two, so its just a matter of dumbing down the ryko to work with your coinbox.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The dryer photo eyes are what turn off the dryer early when a car leaves before the timer runs out.

slash007

Reaction score
You could install a timer in the coinbox to give itself a reset signal every 10 min. Most all of our Ryko's have Ryko coinboxes and there is a lot of communication between the two, so its just a matter of dumbing down the ryko to work with your coinbox.
Wouldn't that possibly cause more issues if the signal is sent just as someone is pulling in? I checked today and the software for the OHD has had numerous revisions since it was installed. Any chance that updating that would make a difference?

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Not if the timer was disabled when the wash wash armed. All this is just a band aid anyway, somewhere there is a problem between the two pieces. Ryko does not normally make revisions that help machines to work with competitors equipment. Have you tried contacting your local Ryko tech and discussed it with them? I can give you the number if needed.

slash007

Reaction score
Not if the timer was disabled when the wash wash armed. All this is just a band aid anyway, somewhere there is a problem between the two pieces. Ryko does not normally make revisions that help machines to work with competitors equipment. Have you tried contacting your local Ryko tech and discussed it with them? I can give you the number if needed.
If you could pass me along that # it would be great. I am in Lexington, Ky. Thank.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Please call 855-893-1385 for service or to talk with your local Ryko direct tech.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Is this machine a US2001 gantry model machine, or a US2001 OHD (overhead) machine? If this is an overhead machine, do you have wall mounted side ultrasonic sensors, or does the machine have two ultrasonics mounted on the trolley of the machine? Can you give me the program number and revision of what is currently installed?

What you describe in your first post is that vehicle detect isn't getting satisfied. This occurs after the reset output comes on at the end of the wash cycle. The three different machine types I ask about above all satisfy vehicle detection slightly differently so the answer will vary. Each of these models also have a vehicle detect timer that after an adjustable amount of time, they should still drop the "in use" signal low, then bring it back up. This usually happens about 2 minutes after the machine resets. In all cases, once the "in use" signal goes away, the coinbox should be able to send the escrowed wash package. In overhead machines, we are looking at the ultrasonics as part of vehicle detect. In the gantry machines, the vehicle detect logic is related to the photoeyes, bayplate and backup airswitch. If you can give me the answers to above, hopefully I can route you down the right track.

For your question about a reset signal firing after 20 minutes of inactivity, we don't have any programs that do that. In most of our machines, however, if someone were to arm a wash, if a customer doesn't pull in within 5 minutes (but this is adjustable on some models), we would reset the machine. This was done so we don't leave an entrance door open in cold climates more than 5 minutes if the machine gets armed but no one comes in.

slash007

Reaction score
The machine I have is the OHD and has the prox sensors mounted on the trolly. A black and blue prox for the front two, then two blue ones in the back. The program I have is 23952-006 then it says 23953-006 right under it. There is no revision # noted. I spoke to Ryko and was told that it was likely the original software and that there have been 14 revisions since. I am having the latest software put in hopefully this week. Is there any chance that it would make a difference? I was skeptical considering that the machine didn't have this problem for over 8 years using the older software and just started acting up 3 months ago.

Thanks.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
With the 23953-006 program installed, you have one of the first vintage of US2001 OHD machines that we would call a "side sensor" machine meaning that you have an ultrasonic mounted to each side wall.

To answer your question about the program, while there were a lot of enhancements made since the original release up through the latest revision (rev N), I don't see anything that will resolve what you are describing. I suspect you have a side ultrasonic that isn't working properly.

Bear with me as I'll explain vehicle detect, but need to start at describing the beginning of the wash. When the customer pulls in, they are driving between the two wall mounted sensors, then continue forward until the nose of the vehicle goes beneath the pair of rear ultrasonics (the two at the entrance side of the machine). Once these sensors detect the vehicle, we sound the horn and tell the customer to stop. At the end of the wash when reset occurs, basically the same thing (in reverse) needs to happen.

When reset happens, the customer should exit the bay. As they pull forward, each of the two side sensors should no longer detect the vehicle. They continue forward, and the rear ultrasonic should detect the floor again. If all three of these things happen, vehicle detect is satisfied, and you should see PLC output Y32 (arming device enable) turn "off" for 2 seconds, then come back on. This is what signals the coinbox to send the arming information for the next customer to let them drive into the bay.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
From all this above, what it sounds like to me is that you have a side ultrasonic problem. If the side sensors don't lose the car, the wash will never satisfy vehicle detect because the PLC still thinks the car is there. If the side sensors detect the vehicle has left the wash, but the rear ultrasonic doesn't see the floor again, we have a timer that kicks in and will satisfy vehicle detect on it's own. (there are other items that need to happen such as proxes, etc., but if the wash operates other than at the end, I suspect the other things are likely fine).

This sounds like a lot of things going on, and it is. If you don't have a hand-held programming console, your best bet is to contact a service technician to visit the site and determine what is happening because they can view data registers that will let them see if the sensors are reading properly.

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information, I will have my tech bring his handheld when he comes down next time. I didn't see any wall mounted sensors but I could have missed them. I am headed there in a few minutes and will check that out. Wouldn't I get some kind of error code though if the sensors acted up?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
At the end of the cycle, it's unlikely it would tag a code as we are just looking for a change in the state of the readings. If a tech visits the site, there are several bits he should monitor in addition to the typical ones he would monitor for what the sensors are reading.

If a vehicle is in position in front of the right side ultrasonic sensor, M459 will be on. When the vehicle exits, it should go off. M460 does the same thing for the left side sensor. For the rear ultrasonics, M118 should be "on" with no vehicle present, and go "off" when a vehicle is beneath it.

When the wash is over and the vehicle is told to exit, you should see M459 and M460 go "OFF", and M118 turn "ON". After this happens, you should see PLC output Y32 go "OFF" for 2 seconds, then come back on. If this all works correctly, the coinbox should be ready to send the next wash package.

If everything works as described above but it still doesn't let the coinbox send the next package to arm, you will need to have the technician call in for technical support.