What's new

Ryko (Sta-Rite) Boost Pump Seal Kit

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
The seals on one of my Sta-rite Boost pumps are leaking, I have the seal kit. My set up is as follows: Water enters a pressurized tank, the boost pump delivers water from the tank as needed to the holding tank on my OHD pump stand. The High Impact pump delivers the water to the bay. This is the water used for the High Impact (HI) rinse function.

My plan is to turn off the water supply to the pressurized tanks, disconnect the power to the Boost Pump and then run the HI until empty, replace the seals and put everything back to normal.

Does this sound like a plan that will work? Has anybody replaced a similar seal kit? Any problems I should anticipate? Thanks for any input.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Bill,
Without pressure behind the water, it will not empty the pressurized tank into the HI holding tank. You are going to have to drain it or use the boost pump to fill the holding tank. If you are going to use the boost pump to drain the tank, I would first relieve the tank pressure (turn off the supply and open the tank fill valve with the pressure pump off) and then remove the air eliminator valve at the top of the tank to allow air into the tank. Then you can pump it dry with the boost pump.
Usually by the time these pumps need seals, the impellor has been damaged.
Thanks,
Mark

Gabriel

Reaction score
On target--But you can buy replacement impellors. There are some are better than the originals

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
I'll order an impeller before I start this project. When I have finished installing the seals and impeller, do I then replace the air valve and simply refill the pressurized tank? Will water "pass through" the boost pump if it is not energized?

Gabriel

Reaction score
Being a home grown repairman I hesitate to give an answer on the Starite pump, but depending on how you feed water to the pump it should just pick up the pressure from your water supply and go to work. Possibly Ryko Pro, being a Pro will know exactly how the pump primes and if it will just restart pumping. I personally have never primed a
Starite pump.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Replace the air valve and turn on the water, the air valve will allow the tank to fill via city water pressure. You may have to force on the HI tank fill valve to remove the air pocket from the pump line and allow the water to flow through the pump. Some Sta Rites have a petcock on the volute that you can open to prime the pump,this would get water into the pump and that would be enough to start everything back up.
Thanks,
Mark