What's new

RYKO Softgloss x2 cyls.

Lavando

Reaction score
Howdy, my wheelscrubber air cyls have leaking seals on the shaft towards the brush. I've gotten better rebuilding these, but now I want to put in-line lubricators on them. IF I understand this correctly, I should put 1 on each side(driver & passenger) on the cyl.return air line, the airline that feeds the port on the brush side of the cyl ; that way the seal in the wash environment will be lubricated and a lubricator might not be needed on the extend air line at the rear side of the machine ? The piston seals seam to have a longer lifespan? I TRIED to call a ryko corporate tech on this but Larry hung up on me (again) before I could even ask.
THANKS, Lav

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I would advise against any oiling system. The oil contamination problems far outweigh any benifit. Lubricate externally to preserve the seals. Certain chain lubes or even WD 40 work well. The chain lube will cling better and last longer. This also works great on the arm clevis ends too.

mac

Reaction score
Well I don't know what world rykopro lives in, but the rest mostly uses air line oilers. Simply put it inline to the line that want to use, not the entire system. There is a reason the rest of industry uses them. Ryko does not because they want to sell you an overpriced air cylinder.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Lavando,
What is the trick to getting the cylinders apart to rebuild them? I've tried a couple of time and been frustrated so I quit.

Lavando

Reaction score
Rykopro, could you please go into more detail on the oil contamination issues. I could understand if the lubricator put too much oil in the shaft side of the cyl., that might tend to force oil past the shaft seal or ?? . I'm just trying to minimize blowing the air down, pulling out the brushes and spraying lubricant on the shafts that will lubricate the seals for 10 washes, 50 washes, 100 washes, I don't know. I know of motorcycle chain lube with a "wax" in it, but maybe that could create new issues. THANKS, I APPREICATE your time. Anyone else dealt with this? Lav

Lavando

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffet, I sprayed the stud ends with pv blaster a few times over a week, but if they have not been apart for years, the reaction between the aluminum and the carbon steel locks it too tight to remove.
But as for Ryko's "overpriced cyl" @ $158.19, Astromatic price is $134.25 and although it is interchangeable, the shaft is shorter and only 1 locknut can be used. Is someone sourcing these Advance Automation Co. cylinders cheaper elsewhere? BUT back to the original topic, what results have you had putting lubricators on your ryko air cylinders? Lifespan? THANKS, Lav

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I went into great detail about the oiling of Ryko air lines in a previos post before the newer web site format went into operation. I will try and find it for you.
As far as rebuilding cylinders, for us to rebuild an air cylinder, it would cost the customer more than if we simply replaced the cylinder. For an owner, with time to spare, it might be cost effective as long as you are able to replace EVERYTHING that is worn, otherwise you may just be wasting your time. You need to keep in mind the air cylinders for a wheel scrub are subjected to more vehicle strike damage than a arm or top brush cylinder. Many times the shaft is slightly bent and this is why the seal failure occurs.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Rykopro, could you please go into more detail on the oil contamination issues. I could understand if the lubricator put too much oil in the shaft side of the cyl., that might tend to force oil past the shaft seal or ?? . I'm just trying to minimize blowing the air down, pulling out the brushes and spraying lubricant on the shafts that will lubricate the seals for 10 washes, 50 washes, 100 washes, I don't know. I know of motorcycle chain lube with a "wax" in it, but maybe that could create new issues. THANKS, I APPREICATE your time. Anyone else dealt with this? Lav

We simply lubricate the shafts with an industrial chain lube (not the high priced motor cycle lube) when we perform the monthly preventitive maintenance. You should be pulling covers and checking gearbox oil levels at the same time you grease the bearings anyway. To spray lubricant onto the shafts takes very little time.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Well I don't know what world rykopro lives in, but the rest mostly uses air line oilers. Simply put it inline to the line that want to use, not the entire system. There is a reason the rest of industry uses them. Ryko does not because they want to sell you an overpriced air cylinder.
If you follow this advice, Ryko will be selling you allot more than just air cylinders.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I went into great detail about the oiling of Ryko air lines in a previos post before the newer web site format went into operation. I will try and find it for you.
As far as rebuilding cylinders, for us to rebuild an air cylinder, it would cost the customer more than if we simply replaced the cylinder. For an owner, with time to spare, it might be cost effective as long as you are able to replace EVERYTHING that is worn, otherwise you may just be wasting your time. You need to keep in mind the air cylinders for a wheel scrub are subjected to more vehicle strike damage than a arm or top brush cylinder. Many times the shaft is slightly bent and this is why the seal failure occurs.
For some reason I am unable to find any of the "old" forum posts?