What's new

Ryko softgloss versus Select-A-Wash

Etowah

wash4me

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed but I am trying to decide between Softgloss and Select-a-Wash. Some have said the Select-a-Wash is a pain. Is it literally the same as a softgloss plus the high pressure components? Same plc, programming, programmer, pumps, solenoid valves, frame, drive motors etc? The Select-a-Wash is $9500 and 10 years old and the Softgloss is $30,000 and 5 years old. It is still installed and has a 75,000 car count on it. What to do.

washnshine

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed but I am trying to decide between Softgloss and Select-a-Wash. Some have said the Select-a-Wash is a pain. Is it literally the same as a softgloss plus the high pressure components? Same plc, programming, programmer, pumps, solenoid valves, frame, drive motors etc? The Select-a-Wash is $9500 and 10 years old and the Softgloss is $30,000 and 5 years old. It is still installed and has a 75,000 car count on it. What to do.
I don't know if the machines are the same with the exception of the hp components.

A 10 year old machine, however, might not have a lot of life left in it. I know there are machines that have been in operation 15 - 20+ years, but unless you are aware of all the service records and maintenance, starting out with 10 years on the machine might be rough - especially if it is not currently in operation for you to see. I think your post states that the soft gloss is still installed, but maybe the select a wash is not?

wash4me

Reaction score
Thanks washnshine. I think i may go with the 5 year old machine. If anyone else has or knows of a Softgloss for sale let me know please.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
The frame of a Select A Wash is very close to that of a Softgloss. The main differences relate to the addition of the 8 high impact nozzle pods mounted at each corner top and bottom of the machine and the presoak manifolds for the touchfree wash. The SAW will carry forward slightly higher overall maintenance costs simply related to it being a combination machine. Lots going on. The advantage is that with the addition of the touchfree wash, the customer has the option for either type of wash they want, and a combination wash will put on a good show for the customer with very good wash quality if setup properly.

Between a 10 year old SAW vs a 5 year old SGXS, the Softgloss is likely just getting broken in. For either though, you should really take a look at the machines and determine their overall condition. The machines will only perform as well as they are maintained.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
As with any combination machine you have to educate the public on it is also a touchfree system as well. Because once they see the brushes they automatically assume brush only I don't know how many times I have had customers almost drive away from my wash because they saw the SoftGloss first and they wanted Touchfree which I have, then the most ignorant question comes up "does your brushes scratch vehicle's? " yeah I help my local bodyshop stay in business while I destroy mine cmon don't be a Goof.