What's new

Ryko Softgloss Clutch

DiamondWash

Reaction score
God I hate these damn things! busy time of the day and one of the clutches went out on me today, the top section of brush not working at all but I got by for the rest of the day with an idea that was shown here on the forum by screwing two pieces of metal to both sections on both sides of the brush, then later when I had time to tear into the machine I got the brushes off the core then brought the whole assembly down to find out the clutch had rusted itself to the shaft and PB blaster won't help me so I called Ryko a new clutch assembly is $1,903.26 :eek: I think I am going to rebuild it just like the old voyager models were one whole core with shaft no clutch I don't even use the clutch I have it so that the rear brushes are always engaged and have never had a damage claim in 8 years (knock on wood).

briteauto

Reaction score
IMHO, I agree - probably don't need the clutch with foam. If it is well-lubed with soap, there shouldn't be too many grabbing issues. Like you said, the Voyager did not have the clutch - probably also because the nylon brush was not a "grabby" material either - it was light like the foam. Many of the modern IBA's with foam have only one piece side brushes.

A clutch might come in handy if you have cloth, or some material that absorbs the water, gets heavier and creates some more resistance when it comes in contact with the vehicles.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
With the foam even if it does grab something it tends to break off instead of pulling something off the vehicle.

soapy

Reaction score
Most of the operators I know who have them simply connect the 2 halves together and let te run.