What's new

Ryko Softgloss add-ons

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
There are a couple of updates to the softgloss that were pitched to me several months ago. One was rain-x but I can't remember the other. I have tri-foam and wheel scrub but am thinking of something new to get the price up on my top wash. Has anybody added any new bells and whistles to their softgloss that was a good investment?
I'm debating upgrading my softgloss versus finding a used touchfree. Business has been pretty good so far this year and it may be time for a new capital investment. God forbid I actually should KEEP some money from the car wash!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Spot free rinse, tri foam wax, under car, rear arm oscillation, CMD sign, side blasters are a few upgrades. How are your lower rear arm brushes looking, do they need a couple rings replaced?
I am a little surprised you would consider buying a used touch less. Although I have had good luck removing, relocating and rebuilding all of the Ryko touchless washes, chemical and utility costs will be MUCH higher. You will also be at the mercy of the seller/installer, so you will need to get an iron clad contract if you buy anything used. I would think upgrading the wash that made the money would be your best investment. I have Ryko rollovers approaching one Million washes; take care of you SoftGloss and it will last a LONG time.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I already have all of those things and I am very happy with my softgloss. I'm just looking to add something new so I can get my average price up.
There is a relatively new touch free at a gas station just up the street that was down most of the winter. I am considering making them an offer. I have a bay that would hold another auto and we have had a lot of lines this year.

captain cw

Reaction score
I added the the rain-x option, but I'm putting out Simoniz Double Bond with teflon, instead of Rain-x or rainshield. I really like their $3 rebate program to the customer. If your bay is long enough, I would look hard at a tire shiner. I'm charging $10 for my loaded top wash. It's my best seller.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
How much did it cost you to add the rain-x? Is the tire shiner a Ryko add-on or something free standing? I don't really have any extra length to work with.
Thanks

captain cw

Reaction score
The tire shiner would require more bay length and is not made by Ryko. There are a number of manufactures, my favorite being the super shiner, by Motor City wash works. You can make your own rain-x retro and save a bunch of money. I think the Ryko system is around $3,500 all said. I got a hydrominder/flo-jet tank system, with air injection from Sonny's for around $400 and ran a line through the boom and injected it into the rinse manifold. You'll need the latest program, with the "surface sealant" output in it. Take the out put and open up the two valves on the wall mounted tank system and you are good to go. Get some Rain-x or whatever brand you want, a bunch of banners and signage and raise prices.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I think I'll do just that. I'm going to do rain-x and bug spray for sure. Any other suggestions that don't cost $20k?
Thanks

captain cw

Reaction score
Bug buster is a good addition. I also got a bunch of signage from tsc. I'm a huge fan of flashing lights and signs. Bubble machines are fun also, as long as you remember to keep them full.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
My top wash is currently $7. I'm not sure if bug juice and rainx warrants a $3 bump. I'd like to have 1 more thing but I can't think of what it should be.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko now sell the motor city tire shiner. I like the Rainshield.

captain cw

Reaction score
I like the rainshield too. I think it does a better job than rain-x. Also more affordable. You just don't get the name recognition. Ryko does have some nice advertising stuff.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Mark,
I notice the arches as an option on new machines. What is the function of the arches?

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The new arches are the curved U style with rope lighting. They look much better than the old boxy industrial aluminum ones Ryko used to sell. The arches are used in tunnels and roll overs with enough drip space before a drive through dryer. I have one customer who always builds his roll over bays long enough to use the arches for the final rinse or wax. He likes it because it gets the next car into the bay faster. I put photo eyes on the arch so it only sprays when a car is under it and I limit the application with a timer. The photo eye paid for itself in two months.

captain cw

Reaction score
I used the new Ryko arch with the rope light for my entrance arch. Looks great! They really add a lot to the look.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
What do you call the bug juice option? Does naming it just for bug removal limit use to part of the year?

captain cw

Reaction score
It mainly just sprays pre-soak on the front of the car from a manifold mounted on the ground. It really does help with the extra grime on the grill and head lights. Add it with a good tire/rocker panel pre-soak and you really get those places that the Softgloss might miss.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for the manifold and a rainy day to do the upgrades. I probably will go with the bug/salt remover. Most people don't know that a little water and a stern look will remove salt.
I was in Georgia Thursday through Sunday and the pine pollen was unbelievable. Every car was yellow. We were at a golf tournament and when the wind would blow on Thursday yellow clouds of pollen would blow out of the trees. I would say the car wash business was brisk!

MEP001

Reaction score
The pollen was bad here too last week.

The greenish-yellow tint to the sky is pollen. It doesn't show up nearly as well from my phone as you could see it that day. At the wash it was built up along the back curb about 1/4" thick.