What's new

Ryko Soft Gloss tempermental

Jud

Reaction score
I have been having a great amount of control problems with my soft gloss, especially with the highest dollar wash that uses the wheel scrub option. The problem is intermittent and various in nature. The worst situation is when the machine finishes the first wash pass and starts toward the rear to get into position for the front wheel scrub, but very often the machine stops short of the front wheel when the wheel scrub brush extentds and retracts. (wheel scrub will be in the vecinity of front bumper) After the retraction, the front brushes start up and close on the front of the car, but the machine never starts its travel toward the rear of the car, and eventually times out. The 4 didgit code that comes up the most is C011. I have checked the allignment of the photo eyes and replaced the emitter and receiver, checked the prox switch for proper operation, checked the machine drive wheels and gear box for being tight, checked the extension and retraction of the wheel scrub units, and I have recorded the 4 digit code for the last several hundred washes. I also have a camera watching the operation, so I can review the sequence of events. Besides all of this, I have been getting a lot of other shutdown codes which don't seem to relate to particular problem, but maybe they are related. The last 300 washes have had codes such as 1480 (3) times, 0951 (2), 0411 once, 8FFF which I don't have idea of what it means, and once 8705 which was about 300 washes ago. Now much of the time I have the wheel scrub deactivated during this period of time because I was not on site to watch it, so I would have a lot more shut down codes if it was turned on. In addition to all of this, I get a lot of back-up lights that won't go out until the car leaves the bay. If anybody feels like they have ideas, let me know. I will gladly provide more information. Thanks, Jud

NJpdq

Reaction score
Code C0111 means that the front limit prox is activated while doing the wheel scrub on the front wheel. Two adjustments to look at would be the photo eyes for the wheel scrub may need to be adjusted up, and the front limit plate may need to be moved forward. Are your wheels getting worn?
Is the back up air switch hose, (when the machine is at the home position) sitting to close to the wheel scrub eyes? If not check the hose for any cuts, the switch for proper connections, nothing loose.

Jud

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My wheels are not worn much (8 months) and the back-up air switch hose is located the same as it always has. The back-up switch works, so I guess it is ok, but I will check it for wear. C011 code you mentioned is the front limit is activated while doing the wheel scrub, and I was going on the assumption that it was no wheel scrub prox. (my book does not show this specific code) You may be on to something because I get this signal only when the scrub units extend well in front of the wheel. There is never a problem when the wheel scrub extend when properly lined up with the front wheel. In other words, I don't think I have a prox switch problem, or it would show up then also. So you are saying that the front limit cannot be on when the wheel scrub is working. I will check that. I also was going on the assumption that even if the wheel scrubs missed the wheel, that they could extend, spin, and retract, and the machine would continue the remainder of the wash. But if I understand you, the continuing of the wash will not occure if the front limit is activated.
I am curious on how does the back-up switch enter into this, and do you have tips on how to determine if the photo eye is adjusted correctly. Thanks, Jud

NJpdq

Reaction score
You had mentioned in your first post that the back up light stays on until you reset the wash.
You are correct the wash will not continue when the front prox is on during the wheel scrub function. I made a mistake on my previous post, adjust the wheel scrub eyes to the lowest position, and then see if that clears the error of scrubbing the front bumper of the car. I agree with you, you do not have a prox problem, it's the wheel scrub photo eyes, they may be to high and seeing something on front of a lower car. It's usually better to have them at the lowest possible position. If the wheel scrub misses the wheel it will complete the cycle, as long as the front end prox is not active.

Jud

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, I see what you were refering to about the back-up switch. I don't know if that problem will ever get fixed because I have had it to one degree or another since the machine was new. It just happens that a car will come in get a back-up light and the only way to get it out is to leave the wash bay and go around and get another wash. my most sever problem is the C011 code. Most washes are ok, but far too often the wheel scrub starts in front of the wheel. I looked today, and it does extend in an area that the front prox limit is activated. I have replaced and adjusted my positioning photo eyes all the way down, but don't seem to have any effect. Is there any way the kill feature of the machine can be eliminated if the wheel scrub comes on when the front prox is activated. I guess I cannot imagine why that would be part of the logic. It seems to me that I had occasions when the wheel scrub would activate too soon, but it didn't kill the machine then. But on the other hand, you are absolutly correct by saying that the front prox is on, the wheel scrub just compleated, top brush is turning, the front brush starts and move in, but the machine does not start to travel rearward. The brushes continue turning until machine finally times out. I then get a code C011. Some type of cars are worse than others, but the problem dopes occure on any type. Thanks.

randy64

Reaction score
The photo eye input has to be cycling which causes the machine to stop to do the front wheel scrub. The brushes coming in and the machine not starting to drive reverse is a symptom of the wheel scrub photo eye problem. Perhaps your photo eyes are too low and detecting something in the center of the bay.