What's new

Ryko Soft Gloss Maxx Loading problem

Etowah

jprb

Reaction score
I have been getting lots of complaints when people overshoot the stop plate. The Ryko requires the back-up switch to be activated twice to prevent the wash from starting with the back tire in the stop plate. We have had this problem since we installed the wash, but it seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone made any modifications that help with this problem? I've tried moving the back-up switch farther forward, and closer to the stop plate, with very little change in results.

Thanks,
JPRB

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Usually when we hear of a machine locking out the bay plates, it's caused by something being positioned incorrectly. The machine needs to be all the way to the home position with it up against the endstop bumpers at the exit end of the track, and the bay plate and backup air switch need to be positioned properly relative to the end stop bumpers. If a vehicle were to drive forward, you should see a loss of the bayplate signal followed by a single pulse of the backup airswitch followed by blocking of the entrance end tire photoeye (PLC input X20). If one of these occurs out of sequence, it can lock out the bay plate so it doesn't start washing with the rear tires on the bay plate.

First, check to ensure the machine is all the way at the home position up against the end stop bumpers. If not, adjust the endstop decel timers for each of the 7 available wash drive speeds. Once the machine rests up against the bumpers, verify the bay switch and backup air switch are in the proper position.

Most often, we find that the machine isn't all the way to the bumpers which will cause the photoeye to become blocked before the backup air switch gets pulsed which will cause it to lock out.

jprb

Reaction score
Darin, Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be that once the stop plate is overshot, they stop ON the backup switch, then back back onto the stop plate. This only activates the backup switch once, and will not allow the wash to start even though they are in the correct position. My understanding is that the backup switch must go off twice for the machine to reset. Is that correct?

Thanks,
JPRB

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Not exactly.

If a vehicle pulls forward off the bay switch and they pulse the backup air switch one time, they can go reverse and get back on the bay switch and the machine should run.

If a vehicle pulls forward off the bay switch, they pulse the backup air switch one time and continue forward to where they block the photoeye X20, this sets a latch to lock out the bay switch. This latch is reset after the photoeyes become unblocked followed by pulsing the backup air switch as they drive reverse before they see the bay plate. If they backup onto the bay switch without pulsing the backup airswitch, this is when the bay switch remain locked out.

To clarify the sequence:
Vehicle drives forward causing loss of bay switch.
They continue forward, pulsing the backup air switch.
They continue forward and block the photoeye X20 setting the latch.
They start to backup and unblock the photoeye X20.
They continue reverse and pulse the backup air switch, releasing the latch.
They continue reverse and get on bayplate, machine runs.

What usually happens is that if the machine isn't setup to park all the way against the bumpers, this will move the photoeyes closer to the positioning of the backup air switch hose. If the photoeye is too close and it can be blocked at the same time as the backup air switch being pulsed, it is out of sequence and can easily lock out the bay switch.

Last edited:

robblackburn

Reaction score
Thanks ! Best explanation of this process that I have heard. It now makes sense. I have the same issues and it does seem to happen more often when the machine is slightly off of home. I positioned the backup switch properly yesterday and seems to greatly help with rollover and the bay switch being locked out.

Thanks !