What's new

Ryko OHD Holding Tank Overflowing

slash007

Reaction score
The large holding tank for my OHD keeps overflowing so that water continuously runs in the overflow pipe and into the bay. In the past, I found the diaphragm on the 1 1/4" solenoid to be defective and replacing it fixed the issue. Today I took it apart and it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. It's still overflowing. What else could it be? I want to add that it's not flowing at full pressure, so it's not the flow switch telling it to turn on . Once the tank fills to the proper height, it takes about 5-6 minutes for water to reach the overflow pipe, so it's acting like a defective solenoid.

soapy

Reaction score
Have you checked the air solenoid that is used to activate the large Lexair valve? it should shut off complete. I have sprayed silicone into the air passage of the lexair valve in the past and that has helped sticky valves.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I hated repairing those Lexair valves, but yeah like soapy said to check the airline to the valve when I had it apart I would make sure everything was greased with Marine grease.

MGSMN

Reaction score
The 1 1/2" Lexair output valve can let water seep backwards (gravity) from the boom hose back into the holding tank if its not closing 100%. And if the swing check valve that is between the tank and pump is old it will not seal 100% either but the water is probably feeding backwards up out the top of the pump through the water bypass fitting back into the tank. This may be enough water to over fill the tank. My money is on the 1 1/4" fill valve though. Either the valve seat under the diaphragm is pitted and passing water OR unscrew the coil stem from the valve and check if that little nipple that the coil plunger seal rests on is corroded/pitted.

slash007

Reaction score
I unscrewed the stem and the nipple underneath seemed fine. Replaced the stem just for fun with no luck. Guess it must be the valve seat. Didn't get to check it as it was over 110 degrees in that ER.

soapy

Reaction score
I noticed one of my large tanks is slowly over filling. it is the 1 1/4 inch electric solenoid. I have had luck just replacing the top half of the solenoid and replacing with a new top to save taking everything apart. It will depend on the small inlet orfice that the stem seals to.

slash007

Reaction score
That would make it easier, but the brass solenoid is almost $500. I just bought a plastic replacement from Astromatic for around $150.

soapy

Reaction score
Kleenrite does not normally carry them but I have had them order them.in for me usually 3 to 4 at a time for under $200 each.

soapy

Reaction score
Slash007 I forgot to mention to check the small water hose that runs out and cools the bearings. The return line from them comes back to your holding tank and can also fill the tank. Just discovered one of mine that was cycling the water when the wash was not running.

slash007

Reaction score
Dang it I forgot about that. Had that issue once before. I'm not sold on the large solenoid being the issue since it's 2 years old and looks fine. What controls the return line that feeds into the large tank? Can't remember. Thanks.

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ran to the car wash as soon as I saw Soapy's comment as I knew that was the problem. Replace that valve and all good now.