What's new

Ryko Monarch I

carwash00

Reaction score
Today I saw a picture of a Ryko Monarch that struck my mind... :confused: it's boom cable is a completely different design, and it doesn't have any L-Arms. It's gantry is also a LOT different. I know its a monarch because it says "YKO" MONA" on it, some letters have obviously peeled off. Any idea if its a Monarch I?

P.S. I'm sorry if I am taking up anybody's time, I'm just VERY curious about it. Also, from my understanding, its located in Pennsylvania.

If anyone wants to see the image for themselves, I Posted it on my flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88148474@N05/13592742605/

captain cw

Reaction score
I can't believe there are any pictures of one of these out there. This was Ryko's first touch free wash. It was a horrible failure. It even had a mitter curtain, which made sooo much sense on a touch-free wash. They looked neat but did not function very well.

carwash00

Reaction score
I knew it was a Monarch I! but I Thought it was just a prototype....? I Wish there were some operating out there! why on earth would a touch free car wash have a mitter?!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It was also a little ahead of its time as far as chemistry goes. None of the early touch free units did very well until some of the major chemical companies began to have a better understanding of touch free cleaning. When they first went to two step most of the low pH chemicals contained HF. It ate up the concrete, nozzles and most pumps but did a really good job cleaning until companies began to realize the potential dangers of HF and developed alternatives.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Thanks for the Flicker link and the laugh.

Hanna relics shown next to the Monarch photo look like some the tunnels currently in operation in Pinellas County. LOL

Pathetic isn’t it?

I use to see these old Monarchs at Amoco sites a long time ago. The bay was very short and no dryer.

The machine was a horrible contraption.

Maybe HF was used in them other places but in my area it was alkaline.

You could tell by the slime build up on bay walls and floors like in the Hanna tunnel photos.

HF leaves clean spots.

“None of the early touch free units did very well until some of the major chemical companies began to have a better understanding of touch free cleaning”

I believe it was the other way around.

Many people who built carwash equipment didn’t have a good understand of chemistry.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
"Many people who built carwash equipment didn’t have a good understand of chemistry." Some still don't.

Most of the first touch free automatics did use two passes of alkaline until chemical companies found out that a pass of a low pH was necessary for them to get a vehicle clean. It also improved drying. Later, as alkaline technology improved, some went back to the two alkaline passes. If I had to guess today more use a low pH pass and a high pH pass. In most hybrids a low pH presoak is normally used as well both for cleaning and to assist drying.

carwash00

Reaction score
LOL No problem! Yeah, that Hanna is in Pinellas (Tampa), and I honestly can not believe it still works! it's like going back in time! I See you live in Clearwater, do you own a car wash? I'd like to check it out lol! (I Live about an hour from clearwater) So there are more Hanna tunnels in tampa?! I Thought that was the only original one left in the world ;) I'm honestly suprised it still doesn't have filament!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….do you own a car wash?”

I’m a carwash advisor and no longer own or operate a wash.

“So there are more Hanna tunnels in tampa?!:

Yes, probably the best “worse” example is Coachman located at corner of U.S. 19 N. and Coachman Road in north Clearwater.

Exterior looks like a million bucks but Hanna tunnel inside has to be oldest in Florida and is the most disgusting. Check out the bathrooms!

I quit going there years ago when I caught them one Saturday washing cars all day with recycled water contaminated with hydraulic oil that was leaking from the wraps.

They told me the “blue” in the water was from too much foam wax. LOL, I could write my name in the sheen of slime that was on the roof of my car.

I told the manager and cashier I was a consultant and knew what the contamination was. They just looked at me like I was from Mars.

Another gem is full-serve tunnel located on Main Street in Dunedin just north of Clearwater.

No wraps so each car gets pole brushes. Foam wax light comes on, no foam. There are arches for clearcoat, etc. but only one of them functions. So, basically it’s a two chemical wash.

I asked how I could go about contacting the owner. I was told under no circumstances would this be possible. That’s why I wash my car at home.

mac

Reaction score
You know Bob, this still amazes me. As a salesman I talk to a lot of these operators, and the usual response is something like, "Everything here is just fine. Why do I need to spend money?" These are the same operators who complain that they can't make any serious money.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….this still amazes me. “Everything here is just fine. Why do I need to spend money?"

It amazes me also Mac. Quite frankly, knowing about the nature of the business you are in, I don’t know how you stand it.

It’s sort of like Alfred E. Neuman; What, me worry?

Tampa region is great market for $3.00 or $4.00 wash.

Producing high-volume, high-quality $3.00 or $4.00 wash requires $500,000 or more in carwash equipment.

Most tunnels here don’t have $250K worth of equipment.

Have you a chance to visit renovation site at McMullen Booth and S.R. 590 in Safety Harbor?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Our industry is definitely in a serious transition period and where it will end at is almost anyone's guess. I think part of the reason is a change in the demands customers make on the wash. I think the standard back then was more superficial than substantive. The big push was to satisfy a motorist's perception of what they should expect at a wash rather than dealing with the results of a wash. I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when I traveled all around the country in most major cities you would see three or four automatics on a busy intersection corner. Today there may not be any. The oil company/c-store industry created a false heyday in our industry and like many other "innovations" they made they ran with it hard for a while then moved on to other "trends" like providing fast food and expanding grocery items. Tunnel washes seemed to want to put on a show more than anything else. I remember one rather large chain in a big city that put our very mediocre results yet was very successful. They dressed up their employees, built nice looking washes and created an aura of cleanliness almost to the point of an obsession when in reality their results were not that good. Self service started introducing more than just soap and water options at their washes and began using more color and fragrances in their chemicals. When I think back I realize that while many talked about "clean, dry cars" in reality they were more interested in putting on a show. Perhaps that was so successful because that is what the motorists expected at their wash. I believe that is no longer the case.

I also remember some oil company/c-store washes turning out terrible results yet doing some decent business. Perhaps that is why many now are gone - motorists expect a cleaner, drier vehicle than in the past. As Robert and Mac suggest, some operators are not willing to go the extra mile as far as their equipment and chemicals to produce good results and settle for less than optimum performance and low profit. There is probably no more a competitive industry in this country than fast food. Even when their sales and profits grow the giants of this industry continue to upgrade their facilities and menu offerings. When customer tastes change, they react by changing their offerings. The ones that don't start to decline and eventually are sold off or disappear.

I think there is a lesson to be learned that while large operators like Mister Car Wash continue to expand and grow many washes are either being sold or closed. Mister not only buys a wash, they invest in new or upgraded equipment and "dress the place up" and improve wash results. While at the same time in most cases increase the volume and profitability. I know some will say they can't afford to do that with their wash but to those I would say they may not be able to afford not to.

At the recent ICA Show it appears that tunnel manufacturers are moving toward short or mini tunnels with enhanced on line service offerings while automatics are moving toward more attractive looking models with better cleaning ability and self service manufacturers are looking to expand the number of offerings in the bay. I think many operators in general are looking at ways to increase the revenue potential at their sites with expanded vending or other wash related profit centers. Hopefully the economy will soon improve, loans will be easier to obtain and consumer spending will grow. These are all important elements for renewed growth and prosperity in our industry. I don't know what where our industry's transition will end up or what wash format will become popular but I think that we must recognize and meet the needs of the changing habits and requirements of motorists and their expectations. Until then many will struggle to survive.

Chuck Ivey

Reaction score
We installed a Monarch I many years ago. Yup, it had the mitters and was promoted as touch free. HUH ?? Needless to say it didn't last too long. Ryko just about gave the customer a Monarch II.
I went through all the photos that started with the Monarch I. We installed a whole bunch of the R7B machines so I enjoyed most of the photos. The abandoned machines were a little tough to take.