What's new

Ryko - Max5 - 1480 Error code

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Hello All - I am constantly seeing the 1480 error code on the Ryko Diagnostic trace log, I don't see this error for all cars. My best guess is with sedan cars. My NCS tech mentioned that this is normal, which does not make sense to me. I have attached the diagnostic trace for reference. My photo eye sensors are clean and aligned.

Anything else that I can do to debug this?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

MGSMN

Reaction score
Does your machine have bay plates on the floor or use photo eyes? Does your machine have the round guide rails or the square flat mounted guides? Is your machine a "Short Bay" setup?

The tire photo eye is not counting both front and rear tires as it travels from front to rear during the foam bath / profile pass. The tire photo eye needs to be unblocked at the front when the car enters and stops. Then when the machine starts driving reverse its looking for the tire photo eye to be blocked once by the front tires, then unblocked, then blocked a second time by rear tires and unblocked again. If this doesn't happen the machine travels to the rear end of the track and tags the 1480 code.

Some of the things that can cause this:
The machine is not driving far enough forward when it homes itself (tire photo eye is blocked already when car enters and stops).
The tire photo eyes are mounted too high.
Faulty, dirty or misaligned tire photo eyes.
Worn out wheels, track or drives causing the machine to stagger when moving.

Last edited:

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Agree with all the comments above.

As the machine travels front to rear, it is looking to count each tire. If the tire finder photoeyes can see through the wheels of the car, they may not count correctly. Ideally, if your bay is relatively flat (1/8" per foot fall to center), you want the centerline of the tire finder photoeye to be set to about 3-1/2". If you have much more slope than this, the car is essentially lower in the bay making it easier for the tire finder photoeyes to see through spokes in the wheel. A way you can test this is to find a car that's doing it on, and place a cardboard cutout behind the wheel and see if it still travels to the rear endstops (at the entrance of the track). If it stops properly just behind the rear of the vehicle with the cardboard, I would recommend you try lowering your photoeyes slightly until they can detect the tires.

There have been some minor changes over the years to some of the logic related to that code too. If you can tell me what program and revision is installed in your location, I can check into that for you. From your main screen on the HMI, go into the "information screen", then look for PLC Program Information. Based on the HIM you are using, it's likely either a 25696-XXX series program, or a 27651-XXX series program. What is the number and revision?

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Agree with all the comments above.

As the machine travels front to rear, it is looking to count each tire. If the tire finder photoeyes can see through the wheels of the car, they may not count correctly. Ideally, if your bay is relatively flat (1/8" per foot fall to center), you want the centerline of the tire finder photoeye to be set to about 3-1/2". If you have much more slope than this, the car is essentially lower in the bay making it easier for the tire finder photoeyes to see through spokes in the wheel. A way you can test this is to find a car that's doing it on, and place a cardboard cutout behind the wheel and see if it still travels to the rear endstops (at the entrance of the track). If it stops properly just behind the rear of the vehicle with the cardboard, I would recommend you try lowering your photoeyes slightly until they can detect the tires.

There have been some minor changes over the years to some of the logic related to that code too. If you can tell me what program and revision is installed in your location, I can check into that for you. From your main screen on the HMI, go into the "information screen", then look for PLC Program Information. Based on the HIM you are using, it's likely either a 25696-XXX series program, or a 27651-XXX series program. What is the number and revision?
This makes sense, as this shows up randomly, my suspicion is with smaller cars. For small cars, I have noticed gantry reverses all the way back/ Also, it seems like it is not a big issue, except for the nuisance it travels all the way back when it does not need to do. I will look into the version when I am at the property this week and update you. Thank you for sharing this knowledge.

Is there a set of 4-digit codes that I need to be worried about when they show up on the diagnostic trace?

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Does your machine have bay plates on the floor or use photo eyes? Does your machine have the round guide rails or the square flat mounted guides? Is your machine a "Short Bay" setup?

The tire photo eye is not counting both front and rear tires as it travels from front to rear during the foam bath / profile pass. The tire photo eye needs to be unblocked at the front when the car enters and stops. Then when the machine starts driving reverse its looking for the tire photo eye to be blocked once by the front tires, then unblocked, then blocked a second time by rear tires and unblocked again. If this doesn't happen the machine travels to the rear end of the track and tags the 1480 code.

Some of the things that can cause this:
The machine is not driving far enough forward when it homes itself (tire photo eye is blocked already when car enters and stops).
The tire photo eyes are mounted too high.
Faulty, dirty or misaligned tire photo eyes.
Worn out wheels, track or drives causing the machine to stagger when moving.
Our machine has photo eyes and rounded rails. As this does not happen for all the washes, I can rule out some options that you have mentioned.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
This makes sense, as this shows up randomly, my suspicion is with smaller cars. For small cars, I have noticed gantry reverses all the way back/ Also, it seems like it is not a big issue, except for the nuisance it travels all the way back when it does not need to do. I will look into the version when I am at the property this week and update you. Thank you for sharing this knowledge.

Is there a set of 4-digit codes that I need to be worried about when they show up on the diagnostic trace?
Usually when this happens, you will see a 4 digit code of 1480 and a sequence of 0102 (vehicle profile) and that is followed by a 4 digit 1004 code with a 0085 sequence (wash forward). If it doesn't see that vehicle going forward soon enough, that's when it will flag the vehicle left early 1004 code.