What's new

Ryko is hitting home stop too hard

Jud

Reaction score
My soft gloss machine is has started hitting the home stop hard, especially last rinse pass. The home prox switch is working and a red light comes on in the controller. The soap and wash passes are ok as the machine travel is controlled by the first profile pass. I did change the wheels and drive reducers last week and I didn't notice this problem before that time (although it may have been there). Changing the wheels seems to have speeded up the machine. Also I want to note that the travel prox switch is, as I understand it, supposed to shut power off to the drive motors when activated which will make the machine coast to a stop. Is it possible that the signal is not getting to the drive motor control? To describe hitting hard, the machine hits with a definate thud and will rock little bit. Any help appriciated, Jud

soapy

Reaction score
What brand of wheels did you replace yours with? I have noticed in the past when using astromatic wheels they are a different size compared to the Ryko factory wheels. You will need to replace both sides if their is a difference in wheels.

Jud

Reaction score
Ryko hitting home too hard

All four wheels were changed from Astromatic, but now I am starting to wonder if the slotted holes for the bearing mounting could have the machine mis-a-ligned and cause a slight crab in the machine travel. First, could this cause my problem, and is there a good way to check the a-lignment. Also, being new to this site I can see where it can help people like me very much. I also hope that I am not repeating my reply as I already did this once, and it didn't show up. Jud

soapy

Reaction score
The prox light might be coming on but see if you have enough room to adjust the prox closer to the metal plate that the prox reads. I have actually added some angle iron in the past to the metal plate so the prox would read it sooner and slow down so it does not hit the stop as hard.

Jud

Reaction score
The prox light might be coming on but see if you have enough room to adjust the prox closer to the metal plate that the prox reads. I have actually added some angle iron in the past to the metal plate so the prox would read it sooner and slow down so it does not hit the stop as hard.
Yes, I was able to adjust the prox sensor closer to the angle steel, but I do not see any change in operation. I ordered a new prox switch which will not get installed until Tues or Wed of next week as I will be out of town for the weekend. I do appriciate your suggestions. Jud

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
When you changed the wheels you made the wash travel faster and farther because of the increased wheel diameter. You will need to adjust the VFD end stop deceleration timers in the PLC. You will need a handheld and the correct programing information. Each speed will need to be set so that when the wash stops it is as close to the endstop bumper as you can get without hitting the bumper. If it is set to stop too far away, it can screw up your "back up slowly" and rear tire on bay plate recognition process. When the endstop prox "see's" the target, it looks to an adjustable "D" timer value stored in the PLC to determine how long the machine will continue to travel. I would get this fixed as soon as you can.
Thank you,
Mark

Jud

Reaction score
When you changed the wheels you made the wash travel faster and farther because of the increased wheel diameter. You will need to adjust the VFD end stop deceleration timers in the PLC. You will need a handheld and the correct programing information. Each speed will need to be set so that when the wash stops it is as close to the endstop bumper as you can get without hitting the bumper. If it is set to stop too far away, it can screw up your "back up slowly" and rear tire on bay plate recognition process. When the endstop prox "see's" the target, it looks to an adjustable "D" timer value stored in the PLC to determine how long the machine will continue to travel. I would get this fixed as soon as you can.
Thank you,
Mark
Thanks, I have access to a handheld and what you are saying sounds confusing, but logical. I did put some more metal for the prox switch to act faster, but no good effect. Sounds like adjusting the speeds should fix things, however one thing that does not seem logical to me is that I don't ever remember adjusting the speeds as the old wheels wore down. On the other hand, seeming logical to me is not important, getting the machine corrected is. Thanks, Jud

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Thanks, I have access to a handheld and what you are saying sounds confusing, but logical. I did put some more metal for the prox switch to act faster, but no good effect. Sounds like adjusting the speeds should fix things, however one thing that does not seem logical to me is that I don't ever remember adjusting the speeds as the old wheels wore down. On the other hand, seeming logical to me is not important, getting the machine corrected is. Thanks, Jud
As the wheels wore you did not notice a problem because the wash was getting farther away from the bumper. It is possible the Astromatic wheels are larger. I would always check the prices at both Ryko and Astromatic since Ryko is the OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts producer and they are normally priced less than the knockoff parts. I can supply the correct part # and list price of any Ryko part.
Thanks,
Mark

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Mark,
I recently made that price comparison and it wasn't even close. Astromatic was much cheaper. On the other hand when I needed a contactor Ryko was much cheaper.
When mine was hitting too hard the problem was in the target. It was bent and the prox was not reading it correctly.

Jud

Reaction score
Rykopro, Thanks for the info received thus far, I now have the handheld, but I am at a loss of what the timer number is so that I can change the value. Is there anyway can get a list of the timer numbers for my soft gloss. Thanks, Jud

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mark,
I recently made that price comparison and it wasn't even close. Astromatic was much cheaper. On the other hand when I needed a contactor Ryko was much cheaper.
When mine was hitting too hard the problem was in the target. It was bent and the prox was not reading it correctly.
Let me know the next time you need a part and we can compare prices.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Rykopro, Thanks for the info received thus far, I now have the handheld, but I am at a loss of what the timer number is so that I can change the value. Is there anyway can get a list of the timer numbers for my soft gloss. Thanks, Jud
Just let me know what program # you have and I will give you the info you need.

Jud

Reaction score
Ryko hitting hoime stop too hard

Thanks Rykopro, my softgloss XS model 99069030, work order 3675610, SN 121615, FX-EEPROM-16 has the handwrote number 25696-000. I hope that one of these numbers tells what I need. I noticed today that the return travel home for almost all of the passes is too fast. Thanks for your help. Jud

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Jud,
I found your program, I can send you a PDF file with all of the program information in an email. It lists all of the set up questions with a discription of each along with all of the "D" timer setting discriptions with min. max. recomended and default values.

Reaction score
Astromatic wheels

As the wheels wore you did not notice a problem because the wash was getting farther away from the bumper. It is possible the Astromatic wheels are larger. I would always check the prices at both Ryko and Astromatic since Ryko is the OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts producer and they are normally priced less than the knockoff parts. I can supply the correct part # and list price of any Ryko part.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark, the Astromatic wheel diameter is identical to Rykos. We sell thousands of wheels, if it was a different diameter I beleive every machine would have problems.
Keep up the good work you are doing helping so many people with machine issues on the forum, this saves us lots of money in repairs.
Kevin

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Plug your handheld in and it should tell you exactly what program and revision level you are running . The handwritten number is the cartridge number; I need the Program and Rev. so I can send you all the program info.

Last edited: