What's new

Ryko high impact pump

john30036

Reaction score
Hello all,
Any help with a grundfos cr16 pump for Ryko high impact? No pressure at all and all sorts of metal in the water lines. Better to rebuild? Replace? Where could I buy one other than Ryko? Anybody have one for sale? Thanks in advance..

mac

Reaction score
Any pump that produces the same flow and pressure should work. There are used pumps out there, but if are considering new, look at Arimitsu.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I noticed recently that Ryko is moving to cat pumps for their new OHD. Armitisu or Cat might be a good change. I know that I have changed out all of the Wanner rotary pumps that Ryko used in their Self Serve systems and Ryko has stopped using them as well on new equipment. That kind of tells you something right up front.

mac

Reaction score
My guess si that Ryko went with the Wanner pumps because they could say, "Hey, look at our neat wash systems. We have the exclusive use of rotary pumps!" Some sort of sales thingy to distinguish them from the crowd. Does anyone remember their square vacs also?

Etowah

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko uses the Cat pumps on the Radius High pressure machines. The regular Radius still uses the Grundfos style pump. The are VERY simple to rebuild! I would tear it down before buying a new one.
Ryko used Wanners for many years on their self serve equipment. I have seen them run 20 years before needing rebuilt.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Ryko Pro, I know that you are right about the Wanners lasting 20 years. The problem I had with them was not that they did not keep running. We had problems with running pressure over 1,000 psi, blown rings, warped brass heads and oil leaking, water in the pump head and water leakage. We have converted to Cats with great results. Armitisu does not offer a conversion to the Wanner motors which are very good. No problems with anything since the switch for over 5 years. Do you think that is why Ryko has chosen to change out to Cats? I personally do. I don't know about the big pump because we have been running them successfully for over 10 years with no problems. I would like to know why Ryko has started using Cats on the Radius and if they plan to make the switch to piston pumps on automatics just like they did with the Self Serve set up? I feel that they will because of expense, probably not because of problems with the big pumps.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko only uses the cat pump on the Radius High Pressure machine, we installed one of these over a year ago and have had very few problems. The Radius High Impact will continue to use the multistage centrifugal pump. The High impact pump comes with a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

soapy

Reaction score
The high impact pump uses more water at a lower pressure but gives a higher impingment on the surface of the car. High impact is the rotary style grundfos pump. The hihg impact pump is also better suited to use with reclaim systems. Where less water per wash is desired the Cat pump is used for high pressure using a lower amount of water. Each pump has advantages. I used to have a Ryko unit that used a big Wanner pump that put out high pressure. The high pressure unit went through a lot more fittings and swivels than the high impact style.
The main problem with the Wanner pumps Ryko used in their SS systems was that no pulse hose, or pulsation dampener was plumbed in from the factory. Once I added this to mine I have not had any problems with wanner pumps.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The new Radius High Pressure we installed in December 09 has reclaim and the big Cat pump seems to handle it just fine. The customer replaced a 15 year old Ryko Monarch 2 high pressure unit with the Radius High pressure machine. He has an old Voager APC in the bay next to the Radius. The voyager has over 370,000 washes and is still going!