What's new

Running both Friction and Touchless

thegoat999

Reaction score
For those of you running both a friction machine and touchless side by side, what is your experience? Do you wish you would have went full friction or touchless? Are you offering both packages at the same price? Which side is generally more popular?

washnshine

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I do not operate an IBA - I have a tunnel. However, what I see around me is that with the emergence of all the express tunnels, offering touchfree is a good way to differentiate if you are and IBA operator. However, if you are not competing with a tunnel- I’d offer both to satisfy everyone. If you have enough volume to have two IBA’s one of each is nice for customers who are loyal to you only want to wash at your business - they have a choice and can always wash with you. In terms of what washes more - that is different from site to site and the other operators who have both will chime in, I’m sure.

thegoat999

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I do not operate an IBA - I have a tunnel. However, what I see around me is that with the emergence of all the express tunnels, offering touchfree is a good way to differentiate if you are and IBA operator. However, if you are not competing with a tunnel- I’d offer both to satisfy everyone. If you have enough volume to have two IBA’s one of each is nice for customers who are loyal to you only want to wash at your business - they have a choice and can always wash with you. In terms of what washes more - that is different from site to site and the other operators who have both will chime in, I’m sure.
Im not from the US so situation is a bit different here. There is no tunnel competition here, competition is just about all touchless and touchless does seem to be the preferred IBA here.

Situation: In the location it needs to be a 24 hour car wash as activity is active all night. Benefits of touchless is more able to run unmanned and having had experience with friction before I do not trust people to wash through a friction while being unmanned, at all. Also cost-wise friction washes are going to be taking 2-3 minutes more than touchless so I would have to price it higher which I'm not sure the higher price will reflect in amount of people who purchase a car wash. Benefits of touchless obviously more throughput, able to be run unmanned etc

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
We run a touchless and friction side by side in a small lakeside town in rural South Texas (WashWorld Profile and Razor). We started with a single bay friction in 2016 and added the touchless in 2022. Our demographic is quite varied -- farmers, ranchers, oilfield, construction, tourists, upscale residents with lake homes. We're seeing about 60%/40% friction to touchless. The old timers with pick-ups love those brushes; and the upscale BMW's, Corvettes, muscle cars and Jeeps tend to lean towards the touchless. It's just a matter of having something for everybody; and another advantage of having 2 bays is if one's down, you still have another one working. They each have their own set of fans; and some customers just go to whichever bay has the shortest back up line.

Roz

Reaction score
We run a touchless and friction side by side in a small lakeside town in rural South Texas (WashWorld Profile and Razor). We started with a single bay friction in 2016 and added the touchless in 2022. Our demographic is quite varied -- farmers, ranchers, oilfield, construction, tourists, upscale residents with lake homes. We're seeing about 60%/40% friction to touchless. The old timers with pick-ups love those brushes; and the upscale BMW's, Corvettes, muscle cars and Jeeps tend to lean towards the touchless. It's just a matter of having something for everybody; and another advantage of having 2 bays is if one's down, you still have another one working. They each have their own set of fans; and some customers just go to whichever bay has the shortest back up line.
We are the same more or less, same equipment too. Our 60/40 spilt is opposite (TF/SC) and that varies at times based on recent weather.

Pricing is the same as are the packages for the most part. Profile has a separate tire shine ability.

thegoat999

Reaction score
A
We are the same more or less, same equipment too. Our 60/40 spilt is opposite (TF/SC) and that varies at times based on recent weather.

Pricing is the same as are the packages for the most part. Profile has a separate tire shine ability.
Are you running the profile unmanned for any part of the day? Any issues there?

gomerpyle

Reaction score
I am new to the business. currently its about 50/50. Most error codes are related to the brushes catching on something and stopping.

STXCW

Reaction score
I have one of each at both sites. Soft cloth cleans way better/more consistently but touchless has its' niche.
Same here, we are about 70/30. We will have 5 in line at the friction and no one in the touchfree. It's getting better but people in Texas love the friction