What's new

Rubber hose or vinyl reinforced hose

sparkey

Reaction score
I need to replace some worn hoses for air, chemical, and water. Which hoses are better for each application? Does rubber hose outlast vinyl hose with the braid in it (polybraid) or do you prefer rubber hose?

Also on the selfserve pump stand I was thinking of changeing all my hoses out to the poly tube tubing with the pushlock fittings. I think this would make troubleshooting solenoid valve problems much easier because you could release the hoses much easier.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I need to replace some worn hoses for air, chemical, and water. Which hoses are better for each application? Does rubber hose outlast vinyl hose with the braid in it (polybraid) or do you prefer rubber hose?

Also on the selfserve pump stand I was thinking of changeing all my hoses out to the poly tube tubing with the pushlock fittings. I think this would make troubleshooting solenoid valve problems much easier because you could release the hoses much easier.
FWIW All air supplies to Flo Jets are 3/8" Poly.

1/2 inch braided from tanks to flo Jets and from Flo Jets to solenoid Blocks, or from Flo Jets to tunnel.

From Solenoid Blocks to bays 3/8 poly (different color for each product because I'm anal) with push lock fitings. (Plastic is just fine).

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Except for tank to pump water supply and by-pass plumbing, I prefer poly tubing and push-lock fittings everywhere possible because they’re fast, simple, easy to assemble and disassemble with no tools required.
Air manifolds
Soap/wax/ps/tc/fb manifolds
LP supply lines to bays
Water supply to Hydrominders
Flo-jets even have push-locks for air and liquid ports!

The fewer hose barbs and clamps the better...IMHO.

MichaelGlenn

Reaction score
Question about the polytube... do you all use the Thermoplastic brand from Kleen-Rite? I currently have polytube in a trough on the roof and I'm wondering if there is an issue with running my new polytube lines under the roof along the beams in the bays. Will they last as long or break down faster due to exposure? We've had some single digit cold here lately and in the summer we get up to 100 degrees.

Thanks.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Question about the polytube... do you all use the Thermoplastic brand from Kleen-Rite? I currently have polytube in a trough on the roof and I'm wondering if there is an issue with running my new polytube lines under the roof along the beams in the bays. Will they last as long or break down faster due to exposure? We've had some single digit cold here lately and in the summer we get up to 100 degrees.

Thanks.
Sparkey & MichaelGlenn,

I will say this that we ran multiple poly tubing laying along side of each other out longer distances through & in the bays. We have found that we occasionally find lengths where the tubing has vibrated against each other enough over a period of time ... the vibration actually wore the touching tubings to the point where sections have had to be replaced within the trough. That is why troughs should always allow fairly easy access within them ... in my opinion. Freezing sometimes can play tricks on expanding both the ID & OD of all tubing including poly ... something to possibly anticipate.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

MichaelGlenn

Reaction score
Hoping for some additional opinions in this thread before moving forward replacing lines...

Currently have polytube in my self-serve bays using brass compression fittings, just wondering if its better to replace with something like PVC (Kuritec Hose) or if most everyone is having good success with Poly (Thermoplastic Biologic - from KleenRite)...

*Note: I've had some issues with high pressure lines vibrating against polytube and wearing down the line to failure, so I will be sure to keep my high pressure lines away from polytube when replacing.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
we have been running Goodyear insta grip/synflex 3/8 hoses for years in the SS and all our lines are exposed to the outdoors and they last 10 years easy. However my uncles Carwashes have the plastic fittings and poly tubing and its a constant hassle 3-5 years later cracking and get brittle, I like plastic poly tube Bc it's easy to instail and cheaper, but does not hold up especially in the cold weather and UV light turns it colors if not protected,But keeps me busy doing service work. Try to use stainless fittings &manifolds so tire cleaner and Presoak don't eat through over the years. Just my two cents for whatever it's worth. If you got a roof with a attic you could use the plastic tubing and get away with it fine. if not use the Goodyear/ synflex rubber tubbing and wrap in insulation when done.

mac

Reaction score
As to the clear hose with reinforcement vs solid rubber, go with the solid every time. I quit using the cheap clear stuff years ago. I found that often it would start to swell after a year or two, and then burst when no one would be in the room for a day.