What's new

Rowe cold weather problem?

Eric H

Reaction score
I was at the wash this morning at 5 AM and a customer could not get any of the 3 changers to work. The temp was about 30 degrees and the heat tape inside the machines were on. I kept getting reject C, E, and M codes. When I took the transport out stacker and held it in my hand to watch the bills go thru they seemed to slow down when turning down to go to the stacker. Is this a problem caused by the low temperatures? or is there something else going on here? All 3 machines were working fine yesterday and acceptance levels began to improve by around 8 AM as the temp started to rise. I checked one of my Rowe machines at another wash and it was having the same problem

Randy

Reaction score
I?d have to say its temperature related. Try leaving the door of the changer open at night to see if that?ll make any difference. Is this the first winter that you?ve had these changers? You might have to add a little more heat to the inside of the changer, a 60-100 watt light bulb will work.

MEP001

Reaction score
Years ago I ran a wash with a Rowe BC-12R, and I also had to keep a bulb lit in the changer for it to work in cold weather.

Consider a Mars retrofit - it will solve this and many other problems.

Eric H

Reaction score
I've had these changers since about '01 or '02. I think I remember having this problem before, but just vaguely. My changer repair guy said it is likely a combination of temp, worn belts, and mag heads. He is coming out on monday AM to check things out. When I went back in the afternoon everything was working perfect. I did leave the doors open for the night.
Thanks for the responses, Eric

Randy

Reaction score
Ask your Rowe Changer repair guy about converting them over to a Mars validator. I think, No I know you?ll be much happier with a Mars validator than with the Rowe Transport. I repaired a Mars validator yesterday that was 9 years old, first time it had ever been serviced, all it needed was a good deep cleaning , new belts, a currency software upgrade and it was out the door, total cost with shipping $118.00.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I seem to clean and work on the validators in my sleep. I have the same problem alot due to our weather. I would clean the bottum green belts and the black rollers. The top belts need replacing. Between the summer heat and cold they have stretched slightly, and there is no adjustment. So the friction on the bill is reduced and it hangs up. Also get the rowe oil for the gears and the
nylon bushings. Its like $10 for an ounce, but is dispensed through an almost needle like end. It's enough for many years. Take a look at the nylon bushings and if worn they need replacing, or if the teflon is worn of the rods. I have had to send my validators in every 15 months for about a $100 overhaul, very seldom need a mag head. one mars kit is installed , two on order, and two to come, so I'll have spare ba-50s to either sell or torture -them, like they have done to me.
John

MEP001

Reaction score
The main issue with the Rowe transports in my experience is the motor. They get stiff in the cold and when they run slow they can't read a bill properly. There's no tolerance in the CCC for a variation in read speed, and there's nothing to regulate the motor.