What's new

Rowe changer problem, eating money

Mchas

Reaction score
I have a Rowe BC-1400 and started getting complaints that it was eating money… as in, accepts $1 and makes a clicking sound but no coin comes out.

I took a look at it and sure enough the bill acceptor takes the $1 and the coin dispenser flap at the bottom of the $1 bin makes a clicking sound as if it is trying to open to let the coins fall out but it doesn’t open.

Seems like it could be a bad solenoid?

Is there a way to test each coin bucket without having to plug it in and insert a bill into the acceptor each time? It would be much easier to troubleshoot if I could just touch two wires together or something to activate the solenoids.

Any help is appreciated!

MEP001

Reaction score
There are buttons to test each escrow bucket. You can also use a multimeter to test the coils. If it's infinite open, it's definitely bad. The three solenoids should read about the same.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
FYI…the escrow test buttons are located on the power supply.

Mchas

Reaction score
FYI…the escrow test buttons are located on the power supply.
Ah thanks!! I would have been looking for them forever on the coin assembly.

So if for some reason one of them doesn’t work properly (I think just the $1 bucket), is it as simple as replacing the solenoid?

Or is it possible something isn’t lubricated enough? Or anything else?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear, but the best thing I ever did with my 1400 was installing the Standard conversion kit. Works great now.

Mchas

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear, but the best thing I ever did with my 1400 was installing the Standard conversion kit. Works great now.
Is this different than the MARS conversion kit? I did that a while back and it’s been great. But this coin assembly is still the same original part of course.

Mchas

Reaction score

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Ah thanks!! I would have been looking for them forever on the coin assembly.

So if for some reason one of them doesn’t work properly (I think just the $1 bucket), is it as simple as replacing the solenoid?

Or is it possible something isn’t lubricated enough? Or anything else?
There are few possibilities. The coil could be bad. The linkage could be binding. Or the interconnect board could be bad (the little circuit board that the coils and coin detector eyes plug into). You could use a meter to check the coil like someone suggested. You could also swap positions on the circuit board for the coils, if that escrow bucket suddenly dumps the board needs replaced. Use a little deductive reasoning to narrow it down.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I would recommend having the Rowe coin dispenser overhauled by a reliable service provider. There are two providers in my region with which I have had great success. You may find similar service providers in your area.

IMHO…Based on prices and availability of Rowe machines and parts, it appears to me that American Changer is slowly running Rowe into oblivion.

The Standard BC1400 Retrofit Kit can dispense $1 coins from both hoppers…it’s just a matter of proper selector switch settings on the controller.

Standard also builds the MC400RL-SLIM that will replace the BC-1400…it fits in the same space without modification to the wall opening. It’s available with many options including dual bill acceptors.

Mchas

Reaction score
Update:

I tested the coils with an ohmeter, they all were around 9.2. I also swapped the solenoids from $1 and $5 to see if the problem follows. Using the test buttons (very helpful thanks!) they all worked just fine dozens of times each this morning. I couldn't reproduce the problem I was seeing yesterday. I added some oil to all of the areas that touch thinking that might help.

In the mean time I'll probably order a few solenoids, assuming one of mine is getting weak and intermittently doesn't work. (It did seem a bit "weaker" when dropping the door).

Looks like each solenoid is ~$100 now on kleen-rite? Geez. Is there anywhere else to get them cheaper?

Randy

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is to ether replace the Rowe changer with a Hamilton RNS or gut the Rowe changer and replace the guts with a Standard MC Series kit. How long are going to keep fighting this antique Rowe changer and replace it with something that will actually work and is more dependable. Standard just had a big price increase on July 1st and all the changer and bill validator manufactures are having problems now with getting electronic components to build their products. I’ve had some validators on back order now for almost a month with no delivery date. I’ve got a line on a nice Hamilton DRS bill changer, if you’re interested.