What's new

Rowe Bc-2800 Changer Problem

slash007

Reaction score
I have two Rowe Bc-2800 changers and each have two hoppers. On one of them, the quarters are only getting used from one hopper as opposed to alternating between the two. On my working changer, both hoppers always have just about the same amount of quarters in them, but on the defective one only one hopper is used while the other stays full. It used to work fine, so it is not a programming issue. I have switched the hoppers around and that side still has the same issue, so it is not the hopper either. Any advice as to what might be causing the problem? I currently have the Rowe acceptors but will be converting to Mars, I was just trying to fix this problem first.

Thanks.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Empty the hopper completely. When it's empty can you operate the assembly and see the chain drive operating? Assuming yes, you now know the hopper isn't jammed with coin. Now add just a few coins and walk outside into good lighting. Try to hold the coin path nearly vertical with those few coins inside and turn the mechanism so you can watch the coins travel up the coin path. I'll bet you notice they all fall off when they get to a certain point. Dirt will accumulate in the coin path and it needs to be cleaned from time to time. In a new changer Rowe provided a heavy duty tooth brush. That's for routine cleaning. Heavy duty cleaning may require a tool to scrape off the dirt. We've also removed all the black screws from the one side of the hopper and the two at the bottom to complete disassemble it for cleaning.

washme1

Reaction score
I have two Rowe Bc-2800 changers and each have two hoppers. On one of them, the quarters are only getting used from one hopper as opposed to alternating between the two. On my working changer, both hoppers always have just about the same amount of quarters in them, but on the defective one only one hopper is used while the other stays full. It used to work fine, so it is not a programming issue. I have switched the hoppers around and that side still has the same issue, so it is not the hopper either. Any advice as to what might be causing the problem? I currently have the Rowe acceptors but will be converting to Mars, I was just trying to fix this problem first.

Thanks.
Are you getting a fault code?

Sometimes the coin sensor (light assembly) is lit but has gotten weak enough to not allow the coins to count which could cause the chgr to go to the other hopper to fill the bucket or dispense directly.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Sounds like at some point one hopper was jammed or emtpy (not anymore since the problem doesn't move with the hopper). When this happens the other hopper takes over until you turn the power off for a few seconds then back on. Try it. Just hitting the reset button won't work.

MEP001

Reaction score
What happens if the working hopper runs empty? The BC 2800 can be programmed to fill the escrow buckets from both hoppers at the same time (which is how the unit that always has the same amount of quarters in each hopper must be) or to run one hopper until it's empty and then switch to the other. I'm pretty sure that if it's set for the first example and one hopper can't fill the buckets, it will shut down and not use only one hopper. If it used to work that way and isn't now without you making changes, it may have for some reason defaulted to the second setup.

6t7gto

Reaction score
I have had that problem. Take the buckets out and cycle the changer. Watch the motors that drive the chains.
It will cycle one then the other.
Mine was a bad motor that turns the chain.
david

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses guys. It has been cold and rainy here and then the holidays, so I have not messed with it yet. I will try all of your suggestions to figure out what the problem is. I do have a long heavy duty brush, so it dirt is the problem, I should be able to clean it. I am not getting a fault code, so I doubt its the sensor. How do I cycle the changer once I remove the hoppers so that I can watch the motors? Thanks.

6t7gto

Reaction score
Take the hoppers out and change a bill.
The motors will run to fill the escrow buckets. No coins drop and changer will go out of service.
david

slash007

Reaction score
Take the hoppers out and change a bill.
The motors will run to fill the escrow buckets. No coins drop and changer will go out of service.
david
I'll do that. Thanks. I also haven't tried turning it all the way off since there were not error codes, so I'll try that as well.

slash007

Reaction score
Finally had time to mess with it and cleaned out the tracks real well as I did find the quarters to be falling off about half way up. Seems to be working fine now. Even after I cleaned the track, I found that most but not all quarters were making the trek all the way up. Is that normal? Now I need to install the conversion kits. Any tips on that? I read the instructions a couple times but they weren't too clear on some aspects. I was hoping that once I started it would make sense. Thanks.

Etowah

washme1

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of conversion kit you are installing. I installed Etowah Valley Conversion kits. With the conversion I did, the instructions were pretty good. Basically, the installation involved eliminating the "buckets" that held the money in escrow for the next bill. After the conversion, the coins went directly from the hoppers to the customer.

slash007

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of conversion kit you are installing. I installed Etowah Valley Conversion kits. With the conversion I did, the instructions were pretty good. Basically, the installation involved eliminating the "buckets" that held the money in escrow for the next bill. After the conversion, the coins went directly from the hoppers to the customer.
Sorry, I didn't realize that there were different kinds. I am using a conversion kit from Rowe to Mars from Capital Vending of Maryland.

http://www.capitalvending.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=2586&category_id=383