What's new

rough up stainless rails for wheel traction?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm having a problem with wheel slip on my machine ( Superior Side Trac ).

Is there a method you have tried to get more traction for a polyurethane -covered cast wheel riding on a stainless steel rail?

I over-greased the bearings and started developing wheel slip when the rail got grease on it. I replaced 2 drive wheels and cleaned everything very well, but I'm wondering if I can score the rail with something to get traction. It is very smooth and slippery from years of use! Thanks:cool:

Eric H

Reaction score
maybe try some non-slip tape. If you score the rails and the new scoring causes a different problem, you'll have a very difficult time getting a smooth surface again.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen where someone scored the steel rail under a Water Wizard with an angle grinder to give the steel wheels some grip, but I don't think that would be a good idea for poly wheels. It might chew them up. Maybe just sand them with a flap disk in a grinder?

OurTown

Reaction score
We had this problem on our fixed oval track aluminum railed machine a few years ago. It was slipping in the corners but not because of grease but because it was polished from the years of wheels running over it. We scuffed it up like Mep is saying with a flap disk in a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I think it was either 50 grit or 60 grit. I'm not sure exactly how this method would work on a stainless rail but it was perfect for ours.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great suggestions! I will try the grip tape first and see if it holds up / stays put.

Then the flap disc idea if no-go.

bigjws

Reaction score
I tried the grip tape before and it just got ripped up pretty quick…if those wheels can polish a steel rail, I guess the grip tape didn’t have a whole lotta chance of standing up!

soapy

Reaction score
I had a old RYKO touchless unit that used inflateable tires and they were slipping on the stainless rail. I took a long strip of aluminum diamond plate and attached it to the rail surface. Never had a slipping problem again.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I've seen where someone scored the steel rail under a Water Wizard with an angle grinder to give the steel wheels some grip, but I don't think that would be a good idea for poly wheels. It might chew them up. Maybe just sand them with a flap disk in a grinder?
I myself have not tried this on wash rails but have on other projects, get someone that does sandblasting and have the top of the rails sandblasted , (this can be done with the rails in place0 this should give traction to the wheels and not cause damage too them.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered the grip tape. It's the easiest thing to try first. I'll post my results! Thanks...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
maybe try some non-slip tape. If you score the rails and the new scoring causes a different problem, you'll have a very difficult time getting a smooth surface again.
UPDATE: It has been a few days since I tried Eric's fix of adhesive anti-slip tape to the rail that my Side Trac drive wheels ride on. So far so good.

The aggregate does wear off a bit, but seems like it will last awhile, so I'm running with it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes the wheels look ok.

The tape is failing already but the idea is right; rough up the rolling surface.

I plan to buy a 50 grit flap disk and try it out on a vertical rail section to see the result before I wail too hard on the top surface.

bigjws

Reaction score
Yeah, the tape not lasting more than a week is what happened to me.. just keeping the tracks cleaned worked for my application, but my auto just rides on top of the tracks - so different than what you’re going through