What's new

Rotary Switches failing early

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
About a year ago I posted a complaint about the ShallCo 10 position / 2 stack rotary switches. They were only lasting about 6 months, and were seizing up. ShallCo was very good about replacing them under their 1yr warranty, but I asked what other operators were using. Most commented that Electroswitch was the better choice. So I bought a dozen of those to have at my washes. Recently we've seen a few failures of the Electroswitch Part No. 30302LA where they only lasted about 3 months and then seized up.

Has anyone else seen premature failures like that? I looked at Kleen Rite's site, and the Electroswitch vs Shallco 10 position / 2 stack switches are only about $1.00 different. Why are these things failing and what other options are there?

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I've had zero issues with Electroswitch seizing up unless they're more than five years old AND they bay stands unused for a long period. You might want to order some of these to help seal water out of the shaft.

Shallco are junk. They barely last a year before they're so loose the knob points to the next position it's supposed to be switching to.

soapy

Reaction score
If you clean your face plates with acid and don't get it removed properly they will seize prematurly. You might also try a little graphite in them from time to time.

Jim64

Reaction score
I’ve used both, I’ve had better service from the electroswitch

copperglobe

Reaction score
The Electroswitch is seizing up where the shaft goes through the threads (through the faceplate). Put those digikey thingys on there. Also, in a pinch, drill a hole through the threads (hole the size of a WD40 straw). If you have a switch that's "in service" in a bay and you can see that it's getting stiff take off the knob and spray some type of lubricant into that hole with the red straw and spin it around some. That'll get you through until you want to replace. Don't believe me? Take that old switch and put it on the work bench with the shaft pointing up. Drop three or so drops of oil where the shaft is at the end of the threads. Let it sit. Then work it around some. It'll free up just like a new one. You can also put a smearing of dielectric grease right there where the threads end and then screw on that Digikey thingy. That grease kind of helps keep the water out too.

MEP001

Reaction score
One guy told me he takes the switch knob off, chucks the end of the shaft into a cordless drill and sprays it while he spins it for a minute.

OurTown

Reaction score
One guy told me he takes the switch knob off, chucks the end of the shaft into a cordless drill and sprays it while he spins it for a minute.

Interesting idea.

Does anyone have luck with removing the knob without damage? I have a really nice Klein screwdriver that fits perfect but the screw always seem seized. Usually I resort to breaking them off by crushing them with vise grips.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Does anyone have luck with removing the knob without damage? I have a really nice Kline screwdriver that fits perfect but the screw always seem seized. Usually I resort to breaking them off by crushing them with vise grips.
No. I replace the set screw with a stainless steel one and I still can't get the knob off without having to destroy it. Just did one last night, the nut came loose and the whole switch was turning. I was able to get the set screw out but still couldn't get the knob off and had to crush it. It's a #8 32 TPI 1/2" long. I order spare knobs 50 at a time, sit down and replace all the set screws.

soapy

Reaction score
I order replacement yellow knobs for the rotary switch, they use 2 set screws with allen keys.

Randy

Reaction score
When the shaft on the rotary switch gets stiff I take the knob off and spray a little WD-40 around the shaft, work it around a few times and then put a drop of oil. If the shaft is really stiff I'll spray a little WD-40 into a screw hole in the back of the switch and work it around. I can't remember when the last time I had to replace a switch, it's been years.
I take the screw out of the knob and replace it with a Allen screw. I also use some anti-seize on the set screw and shaft, never have a problem getting the knob off.