What's new

Rotary Switch woes

Henry

Reaction score
We have an 8-2 that was completely rehabbed in 2005 using Mark 7 Proline equipment for the self serve bays. Each bay has an 8 position rotary switch where all 8 positions are used for a function (no stop position). Three of the switches are getting worn and no longer click from position to position and many times the customer has a hard time getting the knob in just the right position to get the function they want.

So .... I called up the local distributor who installed the equipment to order some new switches. I explained all the details, colors, etc. Keep in mind that this was over 4 months ago. I have talked to the distributor numerous times, at least 3 people at Mark 7, and every other supplier I can think of and we still don't have any replacement switches. Comments range from "no longer available" to "it can't be done". Well it can! We have 8 of them. And they were supplied by Mark 7 when the equipment was installed in 2005. It's a 2 stack switch with white shrink wrap with a red/pink rubber band around it. It has 11 wires rather than the 10 wires of a regular white shrink wrapped Mark 7 switch.

Can anyone help me? Either with a supplier or a diagram on how to modify a standard switch? Any help would certainly be appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
Years ago when I was a tech, we built a wash using an 8-position 3-stack switch because 10-position switches weren't around yet. I wired the third stack to a relay and through a DPST relay so that selecting the usual "STOP" position would de-energize the relay and turn on the spot-free in that bay.

I'd recommend going to a 10-position switch instead.

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
I have done the same as MEP001 on a couple of occasions. I too highly recommend changing to 10 position switches, and using new decals.

If that isn't an option, I suspect the switch is wired as MEP suggests - carefully cut the white heat shrink off the switch, and trace where the extra wire goes - You should be able to see how the switch was altered to work.

Henry

Reaction score
We've considered the 10 position option but one would think that the switches we need could be purchased somewhere. Mark 7 or elsewhere. After all, they're only 3 years old so we're not talking about some antique setup. Converting would be an expensive option since the faceplate decals are over $100 each.

MEP001

Reaction score
Kleen-Rite can make you custom decals for under $20 each.

Upload a photo of the rotary switch (Take a high-quality photo if possible and use a hosting service such as imageshack.us so the detail isn't lost) and maybe one of us can identify it and tell you where to get them.

Henry

Reaction score
I got a call from the local distributor today. They said they had got a call from Mark 7 and that the switches would be made up and sent out ASAP. Go figure!

I didn't know KR did custom decals. Thanks for the information.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Those switches are made in Illinois by Grayhill. www.grayhill.com Search for 44A30-01B12N for a 1 deck switch and search for 44A30-02-1-12N for a 2 deck. We have been using the 12 position since 2004 and they have been great. The picture shows a 3 deck switch but the part number is a 1 deck switch. They cost under $50 each but you would have to solder your own wires and cover the switch with heat shrink tubing.