What's new

Rotary Switch Wiring

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I am getting ready to swap out my coin box internals. I am using Timemaster TM-5J timers, Slugbuster II, and a double stack 8 position rotary switch.

The current setup uses old, custom Mark VII rotary switches. These have several sets of soldered jumpers, plus 2 or 3 additional leads (timed output and ground I believe). I want to use a standard 8 position rotary switch. I have a bunch of switches but no diagrams.

How do you wire a rotary switch? What are the considerations for the timed output and high pressure functions?

MEP001

Reaction score
11 and 21 are the input voltage positions. They're usually jumpered together just to share the input to the two stacks. From there it's counter-clockwise from what would be the "STOP" position. Jumpering the positions is only necessary when you have the same function on two positions, for example the motor. There is no "timed output" or ground from your existing switch; all those wires except the timed load are going to be different functions. It should be easy to determine which is which with a voltmeter.

If you purchase the Electroswitch brand from Kleen-Rite, you'll want to use the 2x stack for your motor because they are make-before-break contacts. The 1x stack is not.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The Mark VII switch is an odd design. It has 11 soldered leads for 8 positions, and 2 soldered jumpers (1 for the motor, the other seems to be for the foam brush).

The switch you suggest seems more straight forward. The wiring is not 1 for 1 with the old switches.

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
Ginsan.com - services - technical will take you to downloadable wiring diagrams, including the 8 position rotary switch. Obviously it's for their systems, but the switch wiring remains the same.

Jennifer G

Reaction score
anyone find a decent replacement for the 12 position rotary on an old Mark VII self serve? All the new rotary switches are huge and to get theirs is like price gouging!!

MEP001

Reaction score
Kleen-Rite has two types now. They're expensive for a reason, no "gouging" going on.

Jennifer G

Reaction score
But they cannot tell me which is the one that matches the size that I have. The first on they sent was 2-1/2"x2-3/4" where mine is about the size of a golf ball....I asked if they could give me measurements and answer was they can't

OurTown

Reaction score
But they cannot tell me which is the one that matches the size that I have. The first on they sent was 2-1/2"x2-3/4" where mine is about the size of a golf ball....I asked if they could give me measurements and answer was they can't

Did you look to see if there is a make and model number on it? If so then just search on the internet for it. I found an odd one for a JE Adams that way and was a fourth of the price.

MEP001

Reaction score
Why do you need a matching size? Unless a larger one won't fit behind the door, you just need a switch with the same inputs/outputs.