What's new

Rotary Switch vs. Push Button

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What makes one better than the other? I am thinking about ordering new boxes and it appears that I might have to go with the rotary style, which I am not familiar with. I need to hear the good and the bad about both.

washnvac

Reaction score
Rotary= inexpensive and very relaible; use the quick-disconnect units. Push buttons = expensive, and more prone to moisture issues. My 10th grade algebra teacher taught me the "KISS" principle. Keep it simple, stupid. Rotary is simple; easy for customers.

MEP001

Reaction score
I haven't seen a pushbutton system that's durable or reliable. Rotary switches are "old school," but they work and rarely fail.

bmills

Reaction score
Aside from the durability question mentioned in the prior posts, (the issue is perhaps arguable), the main benefit as I see it to film type push buttons or mechanical is that you don't cycle through all of the other products by rotating through them as in a rotary switch. This saves on motor contactor wear, pressure spikes, pump wear, chemical and water consumption, etc. There are ways to diminish that issue but they involve additional expense with time delays or multiple stack switches.

Most push button switches are more expensive to start with and vandalism can come into play with a high replacement cost.

Hope this helps.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I currently have Ginsan boxes with push button. I haven't really had too many problems with them yet....the boxes are over 15 years old. I really like the new etowah valley box with the cc, bill acceptor, and coin acceptor. I am just a little hesitant to throw a different style box up at my wash. I am just starting with one right now, so that means I will have 7 of my old boxes still being used. Do you guys think it will confuse too many customers?

lag

Reaction score
We had Ginsan boxes with push buttons ,and had nothing but trouble water issues,and in the winter with buttons freezing.

We went back to rotary,and so far have stayed with them.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I seems like a tiny minority of car washers go with PLC control. For what it is worth it seems like there are durable enough simple push button switches without the present day complicated membrane surface & distribution board etc. With these more simple more vandal proof push buttons PLC combos----at first blush it seems to make sense. Correct me if I am wrong--- if they have made the touchpad system simpler & more vandal proof since 20 years ago. Our Specialty Equip touchpads with their distribution boards are almost 21 years old so I could be wrong. I see some water & vandal resistant simple push buttons from a google search that look like they would be just as vandal resistant as a rotary switch & more user friendly---especially if our regular customers are already used to push button. The catch is I believe a PLC would have to used to deal with the proper distribution & latching on of the selection. Of course the LED display that the coin box manufacturers have integrated with their boxes is already done & ready to go with their approach.

jprb

Reaction score
We are using Magic Wand push button meter boxes at all of our locations. They have been very durable and very few problems in the three years that we've had them installed.

JPRB

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
It's a personal preference!

Push button doesn't work 'til money inserted. You get a few seconds for the user to react to push the proper button. Rotary can be turned to the proper function before money inserted.

Rotary must travel through other functions to reach the proper function which cost some time but short spikes. Push button gets to the point.

Rotary is reliable 'til it won't turn anymore or dial lost/stolen. Push button gives an "updated technology" feeling.

D&H touch pad seem to resist cutting and last for a long time . GinSan piezo touch switch don't react well when pushed with sharp objects but easy to troubleshoot and replace one at a time.

I'd used rotary, touch pad, piezo, and gaming buttons. The gaming buttons seem to have the best longivity. But they are too big for Self-serve use.

mac

Reaction score
For my .02 worth, I like the Magic Wand push buttone. One is because I sell them and make money with them. Your reasons for liking them however are that it has NO moving parts. It is a solid piece of metal with touch sensors built into them, sort of like a touch screen computer display. You can smack it with a ball peen hammer and not break it. It also has 12 available positions, nice if you want to add bay blowers and tri foam applicators and anything else. It also has a nice feature of "holding" the selected position when the timer runs out. This is nice when troubleshooting. You can select a function, it stays there , and when you energize the bay that function is on. The other above mentioned benefits also apply, such as no motor surging when switching functions, and it makes for a modern look. From the ones I've sold, I guestimate the failure rate at less than 1%. It works with all other manufacturers. I just had some old Dilling and Harris boxes remade. Magic Wand did the metal cover for about 1/4 what D/H wanted, and I got custom overlays made for about 40 each.

bigleo48

Reaction score
We had Ginsan boxes with push buttons ,and had nothing but trouble water issues,and in the winter with buttons freezing.

We went back to rotary,and so far have stayed with them.
Funny, I have GinSan Ultimate push button boxes and aside from replacing a bad button (perhaps one every few months out of over 100 buttons total), they've been great. No moisture problems...but I have strip heaters and I think the vac-it-up system keeps the boxes dry.

I like them because they look good.

BigLeo

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I started with rotary switches in the early 80's. A few yeras later went to Gin San Touchtrons. A few years later went back to twistrons (rotary's). I'm sure they have improved since then but I have no reason to abandon the rotary switches. They are reliable and inexpensive. I have also found that the "seniors" can relate to them better than those "newfangled computerized thingys":rolleyes:.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, the box I ordered from Jim will have a 10 position rotary switch. We will see how it works out, maybe the next box I get from Jim I will have him put the buttons in if the rotary isn't received well.

rzeavy

Reaction score
another reason to go with rotary switch is, like the standard wrist watch (verses digital) customers can easily identify the desired function by the position of the knob and the color of the sticker.

Apollo

Reaction score
Hi Mac, I have magic wand touch pad box in my self serve bays. One of the buttons for foam brush in one bay is not working. Do you have any suggestions for me? I will appreciate your help and quick response.
Thanks,

soonermajic

Reaction score
For my .02 worth, I like the Magic Wand push buttone. One is because I sell them and make money with them. Your reasons for liking them however are that it has NO moving parts. It is a solid piece of metal with touch sensors built into them, sort of like a touch screen computer display. You can smack it with a ball peen hammer and not break it. It also has 12 available positions, nice if you want to add bay blowers and tri foam applicators and anything else. It also has a nice feature of "holding" the selected position when the timer runs out. This is nice when troubleshooting. You can select a function, it stays there , and when you energize the bay that function is on. The other above mentioned benefits also apply, such as no motor surging when switching functions, and it makes for a modern look. From the ones I've sold, I guestimate the failure rate at less than 1%. It works with all other manufacturers. I just had some old Dilling and Harris boxes remade. Magic Wand did the metal cover for about 1/4 what D/H wanted, and I got custom overlays made for about 40 each.
$40 each for what?

mac

Reaction score
Well you might be in luck. The button selector cab be reprogrammed so that if one selection fails you. Can simply “move” the function to an used button. That’s the good news. Bad part is I don’t know right off hand where the instructions might be. Won’t be back in the office till Fri.

Apollo

Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying to my post. Is there any way I can contact you after Friday to seek your guidance for programming the button selector to move to another unused switch. I will highly appreciate your help.
Thank you again