What's new

Rotary switch function delay

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
What can I install to cause a slight delay on each function of my rotary switches? That way when the switch is spun around it is not initiating each function along the way.

MEP001

Reaction score
IDX has an inexpensive relay for that, intended for the bay pump but you could add one to each system as well. I use a PLC for each bay for other reasons and programmed it to delay the high-pressure and spot-free outputs.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I have a small relay on the HP functions for each bay, you can set the delay to any length you want. They're cheap, & I havent had any problems with them in the 3 or 4 years since I installed them.

Only problem is I dont remember the make/model, I'll have to look at them next time I'm at the wash (tomorrow). Got them at grainger I think.

MEP001

Reaction score
PaulLovesJamie, you probably used a standard on-delay relay. They're not cheap, around $100 each last time I checked, and if someone switches quickly from soap to rinse the pump will still stop and restart. The IDX relay is under $50 and is on/off delay, and I believe they have both 1-second and 2-second delay models.

I set up my PLCs with 1 second, sure is nice to hear the solenoids clicking like mad and not hearing the pumps kick on and off with them.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
PaulLovesJamie, you probably used a standard on-delay relay. They're not cheap, around $100 each last time I checked, and if someone switches quickly from soap to rinse the pump will still stop and restart. The IDX relay is under $50 and is on/off delay, and I believe they have both 1-second and 2-second delay models.
No... I think they were around 20 bucks each, maybe 15. I only have one per bay, I have it set to a 1 second delay on when any HP function is selected. It does not stop & restart the pump when they switch from soap to rinse.
I did this because it was a lot cheaper than the idx.
I will get a photo & model# later today.

galen

Reaction score
Timer Delay

This is a function that you may already have at no extra cost. Some timers already have this delay feature programed in them. You just program it in, while performing the setup of the timer. Dixmore has this feature. Another feature that is commonly over looked is a delayed startup, so as to give the customer time to get the wand out of the holder. before it starts. But we all know that the customer should have already done that, but don't. Not all Dixmore timers have this feature. Hope this helps. :)

MEP001

Reaction score
galen said:
This is a function that you may already have at no extra cost. Some timers already have this delay feature programed in them. You just program it in, while performing the setup of the timer. Dixmore has this feature.
Dixmor timers only delay the start of the cycle. There's nothing at all about them that affect the rotary switch outputs.

galen

Reaction score
Dixmor timers only delay the start of the cycle. There's nothing at all about them that affect the rotary switch outputs.
Yes your right Mep. I have this on my Dixmors and I thought the delay timer on the rotary was with the Dimor also. Got to looking because I remember doing this several years ago. When I was typing last night I thought it was in the timer. But after looking at it today. I saw that I was wrong. I added the delay with a delay timer that I mounted in the equipment room on the wash stand. It's a small delay timer with a little dial on it to adjust the delay time. I think it ranges from 1 sec. to 30 sec. I reccommend getting the timer with a smaller range. So it's easier to set. If I can remember, I'll take a picture of it and how I have it wired in to the pump stand. Its been a long evening. I'm just now getting home from fixing the auto. Really weird one this time. After the customer washed the exit sign stayed on. Would not reset for the next customer. Found a wire that had worked loose on the relay that powers the sign. ugh!!

Rudy

Reaction score
I installed some IDX delay timers several years back. I think I got the MX2 timers, and they run about $55 each.

I installed them on the motor starters of the High Pressure pumps, and also the spot free pump. When customers select high pressure soap, there's a 2 second delay before the pump starts. When they go to high pressure rinse, the pump continues to run as long as they get there within 2 seconds. Basically it's a 2 second delay to start, and a 2 second delay to stop device.

Like others have said, I can hear the solenoids clicking, but the pumps don't come on each time the selector passes briefly though an undesired function.

I figure I broke even after a year or so, considering the electricity (demand especially), and equipment wear and tear.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
This is the one I have:
http://www.icmcontrols.com/products/product.php?prod_pk=95
It's an ICM digit select, model ICM103.
I dont see it in any of the online catalogs though... cant remember where I got it, will have to dig out receipts if I can find them.
I found them here
http://www.allthermalcontrols.com/product3068.html
or
http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/21773
or Grainger has this one for $12
http://www.icmcontrols.com/products/product.php?prod_pk=94

Last edited:

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as Ric and need to get something in quick. Will I need to have a separate one for each product? I would like to have them on my HP functions and my FB solenoid.

Rudy

Reaction score
While the "delay before make" timer is better than nothing, the best setup is a "delay before make and delay before break" timer.

When a customer starts with high pressure soap, and then switches to high pressure rinse, and then to high pressure wax....the pump never stops. This would not be true if you only had the "delay before make" timer.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as Ric and need to get something in quick. Will I need to have a separate one for each product? I would like to have them on my HP functions and my FB solenoid.
John,
Ric found some at Grainger for 12 bucks apiece. We tried one out today and it worked fine. It even has a dial instead of dip switches. Most likely you will need one for each product since they should be installed between the switch and the load.
Thanks,
Mark

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Like rudy said though, for my HP functions, I think it makes more sense to have the delay before make and the delay before brake so that I can reduce the wear on my motor/pump. The $12 Grainger one will be perfect for my FB solenoid issue I am having.