What's new

Rotary Laser Recommendations

toddmullens

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a particular brand or model of rotary laser or another tool or method to simplify the process of installing a set of drive rails perfectly level?

mac

Reaction score
You can use the method that the ancient Egyptians used thousands of years ago. I’ve used it many times. Simply get a piece of clear soft tubing and mostly fill it with water and a little food dye. Mark the tube ends about 4 “ from the end. Put the ends on the wall and mark the water level. Move the other end around the bay and mark. You now have a perfectly level guide to set the rails. BTW the pyramids are still standing after 5,000 years.

Reactions: Mix

HeyVern

Reaction score
mac is right, that method works and is cheap. If you still want a laser, PLS is good and hold up to abuse well but, are pricey. If it's for one time use, cheap Harbor Freight will work.

Last edited:

DPD36

Reaction score
We bought and used this Dewalt model when we installed our Profile. I've used it quite a bit since then for other projects and have been pleased with the accuracy.

This is the receiver that I bought to go with it: https://www.dewalt.com/products/acc...-level-accessories/line-laser-detector/dw0892

This is not a rotary laser as it only emits a beam 180 degrees or so, but the price was a little more palatable. Definitely one of those tools that I wish I had bought sooner.

mac

Reaction score
Lots of places rent them pretty cheap, so if you want to look cool with a laser go for it. Customers will think you must really know what you’re doing!

toddmullens

Reaction score
I always hear that people wished they would have bought one sooner after they use one, but I am definitely more interested in looking cool 😎. 😂

toddmullens

Reaction score
You can use the method that the ancient Egyptians used thousands of years ago. I’ve used it many times. Simply get a piece of clear soft tubing and mostly fill it with water and a little food dye. Mark the tube ends about 4 “ from the end. Put the ends on the wall and mark the water level. Move the other end around the bay and mark. You now have a perfectly level guide to set the rails. BTW the pyramids are still standing after 5,000 years.
Does this same method apply to installing rails on the floor that must be perfectly level with each other? I can’t visualize it in my mind. I can see how it would work with mounting to a wall but not the floor.

HeyVern

Reaction score
It wouldn't work flat on the floor, there has to be some rise, even if it's only a few inches.