What's new

Roof Trough Ideas

washman9

Reaction score
Our wash is approaching 15 years old and has the old style open metal roof with all the lines and hoses running in an enclosed sheet metal trough. The trough is beginning to rust out and I am exploring better options to go back with. Was considering using 6 in pvc that is bisected in half. Planned on attaching bottom half to sheet metal roof with self tapping screws and then running lines through pvc then capping top with the other half of the six in PVC pipe and either securing with metal straps or heavy duty HVAC type zip ties for easy access. Has anyone seen this type of set up or use any other design. Thanks

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Our wash is approaching 15 years old and has the old style open metal roof with all the lines and hoses running in an enclosed sheet metal trough. The trough is beginning to rust out and I am exploring better options to go back with. Was considering using 6 in pvc that is bisected in half. Planned on attaching bottom half to sheet metal roof with self tapping screws and then running lines through pvc then capping top with the other half of the six in PVC pipe and either securing with metal straps or heavy duty HVAC type zip ties for easy access. Has anyone seen this type of set up or use any other design. Thanks
Does it need to be insulated. How difficult would access be for repairs? Maybe consider hinging the 2 halves?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
just put up another galvanized metal trough. 15 years isn't bad.

mine is galvanized and yes it starts to rust but i put fluidfilm on it to abate rust.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Washman9,

We used 4" PVC cut with a jig saw plus stainless steel hinges to allow access to the insides. Also stainless steel rivets & stainless latches similar to what is on some coin vacs cleanout doors are needed.

mike walsh www,kingkoin.com

Washman9,

Correction ... I should have said if it is pretty much in the shade everywhere like we have at our facility. Do not use aluminum pop rivets only stainless. I have seen where they put in 3" PVC ... that is definitely too small. Depending on space & the UV consideration your 6" PVC approach is worth exploring.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
PVC pipe would have to be kept painted or the sunlight will break it down and make it very brittle.

I've been wanting to build a trough on the roof for the lines and have thought about getting a metal materials make something simple out of the coated steel that's used as paneling and roofing. That stuff lasts 30-40 years.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have 5" drainage pipe in my attic for 3 bays, basically the full length of the building. Then it tapers down to 4" where it goes up to the top of the gable end and out the building and along the 4"x6" I-Beam to my truck bay. This piece is just an extension I made to extend what I already have along side the I-Beam. Its easy to cut. I just use a table saw and cut it like the pictures and it will snap together to make an air and water tight seal. Its also easy to get apart. I've had this stuff out in the direct sunlight for many, many years and haven't had one bit of trouble. It was installed long before I bought the wash. It comes apart without breaking. I also seal openings where hose comes through with Gorilla Duck Tape. Its not cheap, but its the best stuff I've ever used outside. I had some on the trough above the truck bay and was able to peal it off 2 years later. It looked like the day I put it on. Great stuff. Hope the pics help....BTW...Got it at Lowes....

<br>

<br>

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
The best trough I have is made of the same 8" C purlins that the carwash roof is made out of. Two purlins, one on top of the other with the open sides together and hinges welded to one side. Easy to insulate, easy to open and get in to it to repair and readily available materials to obtain. Will last as long as the building does.

wash4me

Reaction score
If you want to go the pvc route you can get electrical conduit. It's sunlight rated.