What's new

Road Closure

Randy

Reaction score
I do not believe the motivation to sell the wash is due to impending road construction, age of owner is. That said they are still not fully willing to face the impact to the wash and adjusting the value accordingly.
How old are they?

traveler17

Reaction score
Crap, not what I need to hear from you guys!

The wash I am hoping to purchase (I should know more tomorrow about the purchase) is going to be going through a major road (multi year) rebuilding and configuration in a couple of years. The road is going to turn into a boulevard with multiple roundabouts. So instead of traffic being able to access us from both directions one lane will be required to head to the rotary and reverse direction.

Wish me luck tomorrow and for the future if it works out!
It’s not even a question to think about unless they cut the price in 1/2 because that’s how much revenue will be lost. Almost guaranteed owner(s) knew this was coming

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I get it that you've got 7+ years invested in this and you had a plan in place to take it over but like Mike Tyson said "Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face". The construction is your punch in the face. Reality is, if you don't get ownership at a steeply discounted price not based on current numbers, you're going to get knocked out. The construction is going to kill those numbers and the changes they are making to the road mean the odds of them coming back up to pre-construction levels are as close to zero as you can get.

New Washdog

Reaction score
Is t
When they rebuilt the road in front of my car wash I still had access to the car wash if you could call it that. Pretty much lost 9 months of revenue. They never did close the road. They would close one side for a few days and then the other. When it was open it was a muddy dirt track.
You might as well go on vacation while they rebuild the bridge.
Randy can you tell me about the long term impact that the road construction had to your wash?? Did it affect car count after the construction compared to pre-construction, and if so by how much and for how long?

Randy

Reaction score
Is t

Randy can you tell me about the long term impact that the road construction had to your wash?? Did it affect car count after the construction compared to pre-construction, and if so by how much and for how long?
It was a major highway project. Widened the road from 2 lanes to 3 lanes (center turn lane), new services, water and sewer, moved the power poles, installed curbs and sidewalks, storm drains. The project lasted about 6 months, at times my access to the car wash I think was limited. During construction business dropped off by about 60%, once the road work was completed business came back after a few months to about 10% more than it was before the road was rebuilt.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
New Washdog, The only possible way I'd consider this would be a lease purchase with no little to no money down. And it needs to be done soon enough that you get some good time under your belt before construction starts. It's not like you're some unknown investor that has no idea what he's getting into. At this point they should have confidence in your abilities to run a good wash. A LP would give them an income stream for 15 Years. They should be open to that idea. If not, I would bail. I'm 57 and If I had someone I had complete confidence in running a good wash I'd offer them a LP in a heartbeat.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Speaking from my own personal experience, I guess it could depend? About 4 years ago I went through a road project that lasted over 12 months.

I'm on a hard corner and they city/county/state were redesigning the intersection to a roundabout to plan for future growth ( that's happening now with 1000+ houses getting built ). They planned the project in 4 phases and the intersection was a gravel / dirt mess for pretty much the whole time.

I thought a project like this would decimate my business. It did not. Customers kept coming and I even got a lot of customers from all the subcontractors working on the road project.

I think in the end this particular project helped my business. It installed a roundabout which slowed the traffic down going through the roundabout to about 15mph where before if the light was green they were seeing vehicles traveling 50+ mph