What's new

RO Output Maximizing Tips

Red Baron

Reaction score
Our area had an unusual weather event last Thursday: light rain + dust storm = coating of mud on every car in the region. Car washes have been swamped, literally, since Friday. Everyone I know set new per-day volume records and most I know had trouble with their RO keeping up with demand with it being very cold out (lows in the low 20's at night).

I know it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money upgrading RO systems to handle such a freak weather event, but tweaking for max output seems practical. I added another 200 gal RO tank last night and that should do the trick since we weren't falling too far behind.

Any other hints, such as preheating water before it enters the charcoal tank?

It's a great problem to have cars stacked 5-6 deep in every bay all day, but it does point you to areas that can be tweaked.

Kirb

Reaction score
Red,
Glad to hear you’re busy. What psi are you running your spot free? Could you lower it a little during these busy days?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on your water and sewer rates as to what is worth doing. RO Membranes output ratings are rated at a water temp of 77 degrees and for every degree drop in temps there is a loss of efficiency of about 1-2% IIRC. So an inexpensive blending valve might add some efficiency. You must be careful not to let them get too warm, though.

Increasing storage does work if it is a rare busy day that you're trying to prepare for, but it often results in a low tank at the end of the day which means it works all night to keep up. As a result the container that captures your reject starts overflowing to the drain in the middle of the night instead of being used by traffic during the day. From a pure efficiency standpoint (without regards to ROI of improvements)it is better to start making it early and make it quickly instead of compensating with big storage tanks. My RO will start after even one or two automatic washes