What's new

RO Membranes

Kirb

Reaction score
I need to order new RO Membranes and I was wondering the difference in them. I can order a 4"X40 from 2,200 gallons to 3,200 gallons per day. My thought is go with the 3,200 and get the most gallons per day. Is my thinking correct or is there water quality not as good with the higher GPD?

Thanks,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
The higher volume membranes usually yield a lower quality product.

Can you link the two membranes?

Kirb

Reaction score
Mep,

Thanks for your reply. The membranes are linked.

MEP001

Reaction score
The 3200 GPD you linked is meant for use with straight tap water. It resists chlorine and doesn't need the charcoal prefilter, but the TDS will be higher.

If your system is designed to run with TFC membranes, you might not even get more product with the XLE. They're usually (but not always) set up to pump only the volume needed to make the operating pressure, and higher output membranes will just drop the pressure and not make more product.

Kirb

Reaction score
Thanks again mep for your reply. I do have a charcoal prefilter. Which membrane would you recommend? Trying to get most water with the best quality.

MEP001

Reaction score
The system probably has TFC in it now since it has a charcoal prefilter. I'd replace them with the same. It would also be a good idea to replace the charcoal. If chlorine is getting past it because the media is depleted, it will ruin the new membranes.