What's new

RO membrane filter

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean about that booster pump.
It is a multistage Tonkaflow Pump direct driven by a 1 HP Baldor Motor. The only purpose of that specific pump is to increase the pressure & flow through the Cellulose Acetate Membrane during RO water make up to the 90 gallon RO storage tank. It was part of Specialty Equipment's original Spot Free Set Up.

Any thoughts on the multistage pump ... I am thinking that Specialty did not need to use that specific "extremely hard to get expensive pump" to force the approximately 60 PSI city water through the RO membrane. Maybe the more common 4x40 inches membranes that require charcoal filtering of chlorine could get by with a smaller pump???

Another pump which has nothing to do with the GAC is what pressures out to the bays ... the original (another multistage pump) was successfully replaced with a Procon Pump that goes out to up to 6 self service bays from the 90 gallon storage tank. BTW ... not as powerful as Mep01's hi pressure-more volume solution going out to his SS bays.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Oh, the RO production pump.
Typically Goulds or Flint & Walling multistage on systems in my area.
Yeah, our SFR repressurization pumps deliver 400 psi, too. It’s just better, IMHO.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Oh, the RO production pump.
Typically Goulds or Flint & Walling multistage on systems in my area.
Yeah, our SFR repressurization pumps deliver 400 psi, too. It’s just better, IMHO.
Would the below be the best choice for an operator with a 4X40 inch RO membrane???

The above to my uneducated eye seems possibly on the skimpy side in terms of maximum pressure of only 183 psi?
Could its cast iron housing ever be a long term concern?

MEP001

Reaction score
Use a Procon pump for RO production. You don't need a high volume pump, you need to achieve 200 PSI for peak output. If you use a multistage pump like that, you need an all stainless model which doubles the cost. The cast iron isn't an issue with pump life, it's an issue of bits of rust getting into the membrane.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Use a Procon pump for RO production. You don't need a high volume pump, you need to achieve 200 PSI for peak output. If you use a multistage pump like that, you need an all stainless model which doubles the cost. The cast iron isn't an issue with pump life, it's an issue of bits of rust getting into the membrane.
Does anybody have a link to the specific all stainless Procon pump - motor combo that make the most sense for 50-60 PSI showing on the gauge just before pump for the water coming from our laundromat's Fleck water softener setup. The other variable is just one 4X40 inch membrane for production into a 90 gallon storage tank.

I agree ... the cast iron housing could make for tiny bits of rust into the membrane even though the Flint & Wallin 14 stage that I linked to above in previous post appears to have all its specific wetted parts 100% rust free.

MEP001

Reaction score
Who said you need a stainless Procon pump?

Pump: PP2507X
Motor: 1K081
56C pump adaptor: PPA10481C
Shaft coupler: 1X408, 4X179, 5X401

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Thanks fellow trooper MEP001,

Point taken ... not sure how much more the functional equivalent in a stainless Procon Pump would cost $$$. Brass could make better sense considering it is the booster pump that is not pumping the actual more aggressive to brass already made up RO water like the pump that goes to the 6 bays.

Below Here is what I found (links) to match your specifications. Ideally, I would be able to order all of the below from 1 car wash supplier but that might be wishful thinking.

Brass 240 GPH Pump | Reverse Osmosis Car Wash Pumps | Fluid Circulation Pumps | Kleen-Rite (kleen-ritecorp.com)

Buy Capacitor Start AC Motors (zoro.com)

Bolt-On Pump Adapter Piece for 56C Motors | Procon Part 1048-1C | Affordable Pump Accessories at Kleen-Rite (kleen-ritecorp.com)

TB WOOD'S L070 Size 7/16 in Sintered Iron Jaw Coupling Hub, Keyway Size Type: None - 5X401|L0707/16NK - Grainger

Anybody else ??? with suggestions ... this is so much better than just "shooting in the dark"!

MEP001

Reaction score
not sure how much more the functional equivalent in a stainless Procon Pump would cost $$$.
There's no sense in using SS. They don't last longer in either production or repressurization applications, the product isn't "aggressive" enough to significantly shorten the life of a brass pump, and even though SS is more rebuildable, it costs more to rebuild one than to buy a new brass one.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
mike, I use a procon for RO production, 4x40 membrane into a storage tank.
I'll try to get a pic of the specs/models if the plates are not worn/rusted off, give you something to compare to.

Edit:
Unfortunately I couldnt find any markings on the procon, and the plate on the motor is worn out enough that I cant get any worthwhile info off it. As MEP points out it is brass, its a simple motor & pump, you might be over thinking this, the pump he suggests is more than sufficient at 240 gph & 250 psi. If I had to replace mine I'd probably grab that one and move on.

Last edited:

ChechenWolf

Reaction score

But I'd go with this one:

Is filmtec better only because of higher GPD? or there are some other reasons?

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I could be wrong ... but it seems like the higher GPD might be slightly more porous possibly meaning that it will allow too many TDS after less usage ... shorter time???

ChechenWolf

Reaction score
I could be wrong ... but it seems like the higher GPD might be slightly more porous possibly meaning that it will allow too many TDS after less usage ... shorter time???
I think the quality of parts also matters. Either way, i have a big tank for water, so the GPD thing doesnt really matter

ChechenWolf

Reaction score
Also guys, can you show me a good changing filters for 4040 membrane?

Rudy

Reaction score
Several years back, I took a chance and bought 2 4x40 membranes from Costal Water Filters on eBay. $175 each, and they have worked perfectly fine for me.

Search for: CW XLE-4040 Replaces AXEON HF4-4040 & HF5-4040 RO Membrane 4" x 40" 2600 HF4 HF5

MEP001

Reaction score
I use them mainly because it's a name brand and seems like a bad place to try and save a couple dollars.

MEP001

Reaction score
I usually end up with 4-6 TDS with Filmtec. I've never used cheaper ones, but I've tested 12-15 at other washes.

Rudy

Reaction score
The no-names I use give me 1-2 TDS.

FWIW, I've never had a customer ask me if the RO water was made by Filmtec.....

Last edited:

ChechenWolf

Reaction score
I usually end up with 4-6 TDS with Filmtec. I've never used cheaper ones, but I've tested 12-15 at other washes.
i have 15-16 with vontron(some cheap membrane) probably will change soon. Also can you tell me what should i repair in time with RO membranes?(seal,filters etc. i dont really understand for now)

TundraLu

Reaction score
The no-names I use give me 1-2 TDS.

FWIW, I've never had a customer ask me if the RO water was made by Filmtec.....
Rudy,

What size Procon pump are you using? I have a 240GPH with an Axeon HF5 4x40 and it seems the 240 will only give me 2 gallons of Concentrate and 3 GPM is the minimum for concentrate from what i understand to keep it from fouling. Can i recycle the concentrate to help give me more GPM. My incoming TDS is 220 and using softened water.