What's new

RIP Mike Mckernan

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had wondered recently why he wasn't posting any more. I read his obituary and saw that his step-grandaughter Kaleigh had passed earlier this year. From a couple of phone calls I had with him I could tell that she was the light of his life. I'm sure he is now doting over her once again. My condolences to the family.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
"Holy smoke" ... in every sense.

Ironically, I discovered this thread minutes before my wife, Colleen, and I were about to have a BBQ dinner "with Mike". Let me explain ---

Beyond Mike's "just" being an extraordinarily good man, he was a master BBQ chef, who helped take my "Q" to a whole nuther level. Today Colleen and I once again enjoyed ribs "with Mike" because they were smoked, cooked "lo 'n slo" seasoned with the special dry rub Mike had sent me a big bucket of a couple years ago. Colleen had never eaten ribs until I learned to do 'em Mike's way. Every time we'd sit down to chow down on BBQ, I'd think about Mike and his generous spirit ... something that went far beyond the smoky, tasty culinary arts.

I am truly saddened to hear of his passing. I have maybe another couple years' worth of Mike's BBQ seasoning left in our pantry. But he'll be remembered fondly long, long after that.

JJJ/SSCWN

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I had been thinking about Mike all week. Wasn't that kidnapped little girl found at a car wash in Belton Missouri? 51 is way too young.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Wow!

Mike was a great guy. To echo what JJ said, he was a BBQ king. Taught me alot about how to cook on my grill.

He will be missed.