What's new

reworked 310 head pulsating

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Today I had a cat 310 start pulsating like it had something under a valve. By the time I was finished I had 6 new valves, a seal kit and a new supply line complete with check valve. The pump still pulsates.

I did not consider a washed out head for all my heads were reworked with stinless sleeves. Has anyone had a stainless head wash out? Can a head be reworked a second time?

Stuart

Reaction score
I have had all my 530's resleeved last year at Dyna-Jet. You may contact Cat Pumps or stan@dynajet.com and see what they have to say about reworking the head.
A test you might try is swap the head with a working head that is in service and see if the problem moves or stays with the same bay.
Check the chemical lines for air leaks after the solenoid valve.
Is your system a gravity system, pressure fed or both?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Check with who ever re-sleeved your heads. In some cases an additional o-ring is required from them when you replace seals etc.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is figure out why it is pulsating. Washout is something you can see. Did his sleeve come out or something? Did the pump throw a rod and only two plungers are working? I don't know why you would replace the head unless you can see something wrong with it. It's just a hunk of metal. Did you swap the head from a working pump to see if the problem went away?

Stuart

Reaction score
Stan did mine too.
My next step is replacing the head AGAIN!
These heads are not cheap, be sure you've checked all you can before replacement. A long time ago I have jumped the gun (and now I have a spare head-- which a year later I was glad I had on a Friday afternoon!!). If you do not have one , you might carry a spare head just in case Friday comes.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Problem turned out to be a crack in a fitting on the uphill side of the pump. It was not big enough to dirip but was big enough to suck air when the trigger was pulled.