What's new

Retrofitting coin vaults

MEP001

Reaction score
It depends on the construction of the wash. In this area washes are usually built as a steel frame with brick or block around it, and the vaults are welded to the frame. A common practice years ago was to pour solid concrete to completely encase the vault.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Need more info. Retrofit from what to what?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW I added security to mine which are round safe heads with plug locks by taking the head to a local welding shop with a hockey puck lock. Also had a spare plug lock that i don't use. Had them weld a round collar around the plug lock area that encircles the Plug lock area and a protruding piece of metal with a hole for the hockey puck lock. Brought the spare plug lock to make sure key would fit and turn where the prodruding piece of metal where the key for the plug lock goes would fit.

So, now they would have to attack and defeat the hockey puck lock encircled by the collar before they could attack the plug lock.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Where someone has attacked vaults by attacking surrounding concrete and block or even a torch, some local guys have doen this.

They created a half cylinder as tall as desired wide enough to extend past the edges of the vault (say 6"). They would flange the cylinder on the inside to attach it to the wall. They would have a hole in the cylinder where the vault door was and use a piece of tubing like sonotube the same diameter as the vault door to keep that pathway open. They would also embed som anchors or bolts thru the wall inside of where the cylinder is, If your vaults are back to back thru bolts or rod will work. I would guess they had rebar in the cylinder as well. I don't tink it needs to be fancy. They then filled the cylinder with concrete which formed around as was secured to the wall with the bolts / rods. This basicaly adds an extra 6" of concrete all around the vault and the stainless makes a nice appearancce.

The recess also make working with a torch difficult. If you are using a laye lock system make sure you can access both locks when done.

Slope the very top so any water runs off.