What's new

Retro fit or buy 3/5 column electric vendor

GP85

Reaction score
Currently running 6 manual Laurel single column vendors in addition to my refrigerated vending machine.

The single columns have seen their wear and tear. Do you guys think it’s a better idea to replace them all with the 3-column electric’s from Laurel?

I appreciate everyone’s feedback

MEP001

Reaction score
The 3-column will let you add more variety and let you fill them less often, but IMO six different items is plenty and the 3-column are a little harder to load.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Problem is with wholesale prices climbing I think the manual venders max out at $1.50-$1.75. Consider 5 column for air frexheners.

MEP001

Reaction score
The older mechanical vendors max out at 4 quarters, then they came out with the ones that do up to $3, and they're pretty finicky. Yes, a 5-column air freshener vendor would be a good idea along with some 3-column.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The older mechanical vendors max out at 4 quarters, then they came out with the ones that do up to $3, and they're pretty finicky. Yes, a 5-column air freshener vendor would be a good idea along with some 3-column.
I will have to check again but I think my mechs had adjustments for more than 4 quarters but not more than 6-8. After that (per Chip at Laurel) you have to change the mech and door and it's not cost effective.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
In 2014, we upgraded our 6 manual Laurel single column vendors with the electronic retrofit kit. Young customers couldn't figure out how the mechanical pull knobs worked, and sales were dropping. At the same time, we switched from quarters to tokens. We had to run electrical to the vendors, so the retrofit kits would work. We like the single column vendors, as they fit nicely along the front of the car wash, between the wash bays. Vending sales have almost tripled. We also purchased a new 5-column Laurel vendor for Little Trees, since they don't sell a retrofit kit for it. We looked at a front -loading vending machine too, but couldn't find a good central location for it.

Attachments

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
It is pricey to do but i had this exact same conversation with Chip at Laurel, better off to buy 3 column than retrofit single columns. I Have 2 sites, one i have Electronic with Credit Card, the other is newly acquired and does quarters only site wide, needless to say im upgrading a bunch of stuff. At the site with Electronic and Credit Card my vending sales have at least doubled since installing the credit Card options. Needless to say the newly acquired site will be upgraded as well to full electronic with Credit Card. We dont get rich off vending, but it does keep the customers on the lot longer, but more importantly they will notice the upgrade and know that you are putting something back into the business. My customers are always asking what im going to do next, i usually ask them if they have any ideas.

GP85

Reaction score
It is pricey to do but i had this exact same conversation with Chip at Laurel, better off to buy 3 column than retrofit single columns. I Have 2 sites, one i have Electronic with Credit Card, the other is newly acquired and does quarters only site wide, needless to say im upgrading a bunch of stuff. At the site with Electronic and Credit Card my vending sales have at least doubled since installing the credit Card options. Needless to say the newly acquired site will be upgraded as well to full electronic with Credit Card. We dont get rich off vending, but it does keep the customers on the lot longer, but more importantly they will notice the upgrade and know that you are putting something back into the business. My customers are always asking what im going to do next, i usually ask them if they have any ideas.
thanks for the great information