What's new

Restoring the paint on my car

andy23

Reaction score
I own a 2005 Honda Civic Special Edition, black exterior. I recently bought some turtle wax compound with the idea of getting rid of some of the weathered spots on my exterior. As often happens with me, my eagerness to shine up my car took the place of common sense and I failed to read the instructions before applying the compound. To make a long story short, the paint has dull spots that are particuarly noticeable when the sun is beating down on the car. Is there a way of restoring my paint job? I thought of just bringing the car into a detailing shop and seeing if they can fix it for me. Is this easily correctable?

Danny

Reaction score
Your paint can most likely be corrected. I would recommend taking your car into a professional detail shop. Despite what most people think, detailing is an art that takes years of experience to become proficient at it. What part of the country are you in? This forum has members all over the country and I am sure someone on here can suggest a location close to you for the proper paint correction.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If your paint is a clear coat you probably will need a paint job but check with a professional detailer. If you have not gone through the clear coat you may just have dulled it which can be buffed out by someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck. The paint job will be much more $$$$ than a buff job.

andy23

Reaction score
Thank you, Danny and rph9168. I live on Long Island, NY (Nassau County). If anyone here lives in the area and can suggest a good detailing shop, I would greatly appreciate it.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Andy, call Anthony Flammia at Gia's Mobile Detailing. I don't know him personally but others I know say he is good. I don't think he would have any problems fixing it. If you used turtle wax then the clear coat shouldn't be compromised unless you used a high speeed and burned through the clear coat. Anything else other than burned through clearcoat, he should be able to fix. He's got a website you could look at to get his info.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
You probably used rubbing compound that was not designed for clear-coat paint. If so, you may have roughed up the surface so it appears dull; it is actually full of micro-scratches from the abrasives in the compound.

If you did this by applying the compound by hand instead of using an orbital or rotary buffer, you may be able to correct the problem yourself by hand.

Mequiar's has a three-step method and products that you can buy at any local auto parts store.

Step 1 is a paint cleaner which is actually a light-duty clear-coat rubbing compound. Apply in the shade by hand with a foam applicator (back and forth motions) and then polish and wipe off with a microfiber towel (circular motions). This will get rid of the dull spots you speak of.

Step 2 is a polish. Wipe on with foam applicator (back and forth) and take off with microfiber towels (circular).

Step 3 is a carnauba wax. Wipe on with foam applicator (back and forth) and take off with microfiber towels (circular)

It will take about 3 to 4 hours to do a Civic by hand with this 3-step method.

andy23

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I didn't use any kind of buffer machine or anything. I just applied the compound by hand with a rag. I'll look into both of these suggestions, though -- Gia's and the 3 step process that Robert Roman suggested. I really do appreciate it though.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Mr. Miyagi's method might create swirls!

Wax on... wax off may be fine for applying a protective coating of wax... but if you hand-apply a cleaner that removes oxidized paint (even clearcoat), you risk having little pac-man type swirls. :eek: Why? The gritty dead paint residue may collect on the hand applicator (foam or cloth) and compromise the real cleaning unless you continuously change or clean the face of the applicator.:eek:

Plus, the risk of hand application is its inconsistency of pressure on the surface being treated. :( Essentially, you will place more pressure on certain areas... and less on others, simply because of how you reach and rotate your arm. :eek: That's why it's better to use a buffing pad that distributes consistent pressure across the surface. In fact, if you use an orbital... and clean or change the pad frequently, you will probably get a hand-finish without the swirl risks. Orbitals are inexpensive and easy to control. ;)

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that paint blemish correction of any type is best left to professionals.

Yes, there are kits with an orbital, a few different products of varying grit, polish, etc. Griots Garage has one. I do use an orbital in my shop for wax application when a finish needs a cleaner wax. However, I prefer my trusty Makita , variable speed, rotary buffer. That is, IMO, the proper tool for correcting paint blemishes.

Any competent detail shop can perform this service for you. Ask one for 3 references and call them before you schedule an appointment.

One more idea; I have performed blemish correction of minor defects using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. May or may not work and is a great product to have around for many uses on paint.

buda

Reaction score
As has been suggested take the car to Anthony Flammia he is on Long Island and a pro.

Your car is a clear coat as most cars after 1993 were painted with a two stage paint system, base-coat of color and a clear-coat of poly urethane enamel.

You most likely have simply used to aggressive a compound and rubbed to hard and dulled the paint in those spots. Anthony can fix it for you.

Bud ABraham