What's new

Residential garage door opener

washnshine

Reaction score
Asking my car wash forum friends for what they recommend at home. I’m replacing an 18 year old Genie screw drive at my house. Belts and chains seem to be more prevalent now. Is one better than the other - belt or chain? Chamberlain, Genie, Liftmaster? I figured someone must have done one in the past 18 years since I did my last one. Thanks!

Randy

Reaction score
I've done a lot of door openers. I've had good luck with the Liftmaster. Overhead door makes a good opener, but thy are expensive. I wouldn't recommend a Genie.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
I replaced my Genie about 5 years ago and put in a Liftmaster. Not sure model, but it's belt drive and similar to the 8550WLB they have today. It's been reliable for me so far, and I do like the battery backup. The batteries don't seem to last more than 2 years, but it's helpful when the power is out to still be able to get in/out of my garage.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I have five garage doors and all of them have Liftmaster. They all work well and I've never had problems other than normal lube and such. All five I can run on my phone using their app and get notifications when they're opening/closing and if they're left open after hours. Two of the doors are 12 feet tall and I have their jackshaft models installed. Really like those.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies - I appreciate it. Looks like Liftmaster is a good choice.

Etowah